Saturday, October 3, 2009

EXIT CONVERSATION

Our exit conversation went from whether the Detroit Tigers would get rained out to whether the ambulance near healthcare would interfere with us leaving at our regular scheduled time. Some state employees had brought umbrellas for protection against the drizzle, but the sun had poked through the clouds, radiating its warmth on our backs.

By the time we reached the Administration Building, I asked a custody staff person about the ambulance. Turns out, two of my students were involved in an altercation; or to be more direct, an assault occurred.

“From what I gather,” my informant said, “Prisoner B. stabbed Prisoner E. in the ear with a piece of metal and sliced him downward along the jaw-line. B. thrives on violence. E. was holding his face together and blood was going everywhere.”

A maintenance worker, corrections officer, and sergeant, focused on finding the weapon, passed us, heading in the opposite direction toward the crime scene area.

As I write this from the comfort of my home and reflect, I’m remembering that part of our exit conversation regarding umbrellas, how those metal-extension rods would make great shanks.

14 comments:

Catvibe said...

Oy! Just catching up on your ferocious excuse for a fun job. Don't know how you do it. Hope you don't get 'laid off', but on the other hand, you could use a vacation!

Four Dinners said...

I will carry my umbrella with more care from here on!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't understand why anybody working inside a prison facility would not keep track of an umbrella they brought in. I believe it is the arrogance of the mental health staff and the incompetence of our current Administration that will eventually get someone killed. Pray it is not staff. MW

jodi said...

JR-You need an extra eyeball on the back of your head? Have you taken a self-defense class?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Jodi,
We have one day of self-defense training each year -- learn just enough to get hurt.

the walking man said...

I do hope the hairs on the back of your neck are in good shape.

ivan said...

It's the same here on the outside.
Especially in he professions.
At some colleges they carry shivs this long.
Metaphorical, but you can still get badly hurt.
If I only hadn't stopped writing while teaching. Lost the saber and got the shank end.
Like old Willie Maugham used to say, "Aren't people charming?"

Anonymous said...

JR, Yikes!!! Watch your back and remember even if its pouring rain, don't bring in the umbrellas to work!!! Hmmm, not sure what to say about the Tigers! They need to win today!! --Bro, Ron

Beth said...

You lead a life so far removed from mine. But I do find the glimpses into your world fascinating and enlightening. And, yes, somewhat frightening.

jason evans said...

Humans can really be a royal pain in the butt.

Lana Gramlich said...

Wow...just stunning.

H.E.Eigler said...

Hello JR! It's been a while. So glad to see you're still working to educate. I don't know how you do it!

Julie said...

JR, I love your fiction, but your real life accounts also make my hair stand on end. I'm glad you're telling the world. We need to hear it.

noisysmile said...

I would be inventing a rubber umbrella if I were you.