Friday, October 23, 2009

HERE IN A FLASH, GONE IN A FLASH













I’m still a novice when it comes to writing and reading flash fiction. It’s definitely an art form suitable for the internet. You can focus on the backlit words without straining your eyes for long lengths of time, and there’s not much scrolling to break your concentration.

Some of my written flashes have come to me relatively quick, the words spilling onto the page; whereas, others have tormented me for days. I’ve been submitting various pieces to my favorite on-line literary journals—not much luck there. One story in particular has raised a few eyebrows. Here’s the latest “favorable rejection”:

Hi JR,

Thanks for submitting “Cocoon Man.” Unfortunately, we’re going to pass. This was an exceptionally difficult decision for us because we liked so much about the piece (the ominous atmosphere, the back and forth dialogue between the characters, the haunting details), but something about it didn’t resonate as much as we hoped it would.

We really want to read more, though, so please keep sending stories our way.

Best,
Matt

How cool it that? I’ll keep writing, reading, trying. I strongly recommend http://www.staccatofiction.com/. They publish a new flash fiction piece every 4 or 5 days. And their stories really are that good.

15 comments:

ivan said...

As they say on the Canadian East coast, "Well, suck back and rotate!"

the walking man said...

sure would be helpful to have a definition of "something."

Beth said...

That is an encouraging rejection letter. Some (many) are not.
Thanks for the link – I have a flash fiction piece that achieved Honorable Mention status for an e-zine (and thus, was not published) & I’d like to submit it elsewhere.

Charles Gramlich said...

that rejection almost certainly means you'll place this story elsewhere. the certain "something" has got to be more about the editor/reader for the zine than about the story. Sounds like you've got a good piece there.

Lana Gramlich said...

That is rather enthusiastic, at least! Much better than form letters or what I often get; nothing at all.

Four Dinners said...

Keep going old bean. I sent a thingy off to some publishers and got variations between "WTF??" and "Are you naturally mad or has it taken some work?"

Mind you...as far as Flashing goes you can't beat me old bean!!!

Jo said...

I admire anyone who can write fiction. It's more than an art form, it's a discipline.

That is an encouraging "rejection" letter. It sounds to me like constructive criticism, which is something everyone needs from time to time in order to hone their skills even more.

ivan said...

I might be going part of Lana's way.

I used to get encouraging letters.

But now, with the Big Book in New York, I have heard nothing for months. I try to think positive--no news is good news; but I'm startin' to ha'e me doots.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Charles,
My thoughts exactly. Without bragging, I really really do think it's publishable. I just need to find the right place for it, the right home.

Anonymous said...

It will get published JR. Enjoyed the shot down Woodward. I know someone who sold roses on that corner. Brings back memories. MW :)

jbwritergirl said...

Long time no talk. Glad to see you're still writing. I miss the whole blogging thing but I just can't seem to worm my way back in. I just got a rejection letter for my second book while I was in London 2 weeks ago. Cool thing was, when I returned this week I discovered that my first book won a National Best Book Award for 2009. Perseverance is my motto. Hopefully I can use that as a catalyst to send to new publishers. You know a credibility thing. Keep writing dude. Words can never stop as far as I'm concerned.
JB

JR's Thumbprints said...

JB, It's been a long long time. Congrats on the award; I love it when my blogger friends from way way back make it in the publishing industry.

Erik Donald France said...

Dude, excellent. You will place it. Haunt and resonate right into publication! Cheers'

Julie said...

That is awesome, JR! Seriously, it is. If they take the time to write to you, they mean it. Of course, you know that. Do try them again. You're right about flash. It's hard to do it well, but I know yours rocks. I can't wait to read it.

jodi said...

JR-how very incouraging! Sounds like you are on the verge of something great. Keep on keepin' on, dude! Make us all proud!