Monday, October 26, 2009

REFLECTING FORWARD















There’s another hip on-line lit journal called Matchbook that I admire (read it here). If they accept a flash-fiction piece for publication, they request a critique of sorts, some type of insight into the writing process. As I hold out hope for “Cocoon Man,” I reflect on what I believe is its significance. Here are my thoughts:

My wife’s into scrapbooking. She sticky-tapes family pictures into expensive albums, dresses them up, makes them visually appealing. In “Cocoon Man,” I try to do the opposite. I take a snapshot in time, something from that slim rectangular window of life and try to make it uglier. I dress it down. I examine its anorexic body. I focus on the blemish. I make that blemish fester and grow on skeletal remains.

I don’t think a story can have a lasting impression on its readers unless they’re made to feel uneasy—at least flash fiction anyway, where the plot needs to develop quickly. So why not challenge the reader in the beginning? Why not ask a series of questions that will present the conflict and setting as well as place the reader in an uncomfortable situation.

Forget Hallmark. Forget Norman Rockwell paintings. Let’s have guts, let’s show an exposed foot, and let’s have blatant lies and infidelity and manipulative behavior.

“Cocoon Man” is stripped down to these barebone essentials. The reader, like a moth flying into the flames, is drawn to the light, to its origins, to those initial questions. As for resolution of conflict—what of it? There’s no fancy gift-wrapped packages here to open. There’s no expensive ribbon to untie. And if there were? You wouldn’t be able to see beyond the beauty, beyond the presentation, and that’s not what I’m aiming for.

10 comments:

Four Dinners said...

I don't think the reader has to necessarily feel uneasy.....depends on the story...

I'm a great fan of Tom Sharpe (Wilt, Blott On The Landscape, Ancestral Vices, Porterhouse Blue) because they make me laugh (out loud in public on a train once. Caz was not amused)

If the story requires the reader to feel uneasy to 'feel' the story then fine - I've read a few that I enjoyed that made me feal uneasy at least! - The Excorcist (far worse than the movie but incredibly well written) to name but one...

Regardless, good luck getting published old bean. look forward to getting a chance to read it!!

Beth said...

If your piece is accepted by Matchbook, you’ve written an excellent critique - a fascinating insight into your personal writing process.
Best of luck!

Rick said...

Hey, JR. Best of luck on your story- it sounds like it packs one hell of a punch.

the walking man said...

I can feel my fiction joints getting all rusty now that I read your critique.

Charles Gramlich said...

Dude! Well said. I wanna hire you to write my publicity releases. This is a very tight little essay in its own right.

jodi said...

JR-I love the comparason to scrap booking. One makes things obvious and the other makes you think! Good luck, dear.

Whitenoise said...

Is the story available for us to read, Jim?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Whitenoise,
I'm hoping the story will be available through an appropriate venue. Time will tell.

Julie said...

I agree. The best stories make the reader squirm, at least a little. That's the way we learn as readers. Otherwise, we're just reading stylized pablum with glossy covers and roses on the front. I look forward to reading your story, JR.

Lana Gramlich said...

Very good points here. Best of luck with the piece!