Friday, September 4, 2009

Why I don't think I would be a good father/husband at this point in time













Not often—Hell, who am I fooling? Never before… at least not like this—I’ll get a GED Essay that tugs at thee ol’ heart strings. Most prisoners prefer the bland essay format of topic sentence, supporting statements and conclusion told without conviction or emotional honesty. What you’re about to read is based on the following question: Discuss an opinion you once held that has now changed. Without further introduction (and slightly edited) here’s one prisoner’s narrative essay:

At one time I wanted kids. I had a little girl and I loved her with all my heart. We would do things together. Although she was only 4 years old when she died, she was my life. I didn’t realize until I had lost her in a car accident how much I’d miss her. She and my wife were hit by a drunk driver coming home from a family reunion that I was supposed to attend, but didn’t.

After her death, my wife and I did not get along. We were fighting all the time. I guess I fell out of love with her.

Over a period of time, I just didn’t want the hassle, I just didn’t want to invest my energy in our marriage. I didn’t want kids any more. I just couldn’t handle it all.

I wanted to be by myself and do what I wanted to do and without the hassles. What I had always wanted in life I found out I did not want anymore. Now I’m happy I have no one, which is better for me in the long run because I’m messed up myself.

12 comments:

Beth said...

"Now I'm happy I have no one..."
I'm wondering what kind of happiness that is and how long he can keep such a distance. Forever?

Charles Gramlich said...

Yes, very honest. You have to appreciate it, although someday I hope this too will pass for him.

bluesugarpoet said...

Poignant.

ivan said...

Surprisingly well written.

I used to be in the Air Force where they would talk rough. They'd say to a guy like him, "Buck up, f*ck-up!"

the walking man said...

He is being honest with himself and his essay at this point in time. Hope he gets the diploma.

Lana Gramlich said...

Wow. He still has some humanity in there. It's buried under pain & anger, but it's there...

jodi said...

J.R.-that one would tug at me, too. Have a great Labor Day!

Lou said...

Maybe writing his feelings will help. Maybe through writing he can find an outlet for his anger & disappointment. Maybe you started something positive in his life.

Anonymous said...

JR, Nice read. Also, nice looking car you got there!!! :) Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!! --Bro, Ron

Bebo said...

Oddly - because, hey! I'm a woman & NOT in prison - I can identify with him in that I had everything I wanted, lost it, and am now glad to have the space to be myself, without the restrictions of marriage/family. I want that again someday, but not today.

Very well written & surprisingly honest.

Johnny Yen said...

Wow. How incredibly sad.

As a parent, you live every day praying that your kids will outlive you. I can only imagine that a bunch of that guy went to the grave with his daughter. I know it would be that way for me.

noisysmile said...

wow that is brutal and terribly sad. it looks like this guy needs a friend.