Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A GAME OF LEAP FROG













I’ve been told (or should I say “warned?”) that the politicians in Lansing have been keeping a spreadsheet of my monthly enrollment. I don’t have the slightest clue as to why—my numbers, after all, will have little effect on the decisions they make in the Puzzle Palace. I’ve already been warned about the possibility of a lay-off come October 1, 2009.

The Michigan House and Senate are ready to dump a budget plan on Governor Granholm’s desk, a budget with deep cuts. She’ll probably “veto” the damn thing, which in turn will bring about those lay-offs. Either way, I’ll feel the pinch.

I’ve also been told (via television) by the two main players, Andy Dillon (Democrat) and Mike Bishop (Republican), that the Governor is not instrumental in the budget making process. Hmmm… I guess they’re playing leap frog, they’ve pushed her aside, deemed her a bad leader. How’s that saying go? “Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.” I guess the blind is leading the naked. I’m trying to figure out just who is groping whom.

13 comments:

Beth said...

Hope you don’t end up “groped”/pinched as the political maneuvering plays out...

jodi said...

JR-Hope this shit works out for you. Do NOT kiss the frog!

jason evans said...

I sincerely hope you come out unscathed.

Donnetta Lee said...

Sounds like between a rock and a hard spot. Very little wiggle room. Hope your elbows don't get scraped. Ribbit.D

Anonymous said...

Kiss the frog, and wait for the magic. Should happen very soon. MW

the walking man said...

I think it's safe to say that it's your balls getting the grip right now Jim. Why do they need teachers if they are dumping felons on the streets?

JR's Thumbprints said...

TWM,
... and how come the "No GED, No Parole" Law is no longer enforced?

Charles Gramlich said...

Must be a bit of an anxious time for a lot of people. Reminds me a bit of when the layoffs started at Xavier after Hurricane Katrina. In your case, just a different kind of hot wind blowing.

ivan said...

Ah, relax, Jim

While conducting creative writing classees here at Seneca College, Toronto, I found one student to be RCMP--you know, those mounted guys-- and the other CISIS--which is sort of your CIA.
Both later had a drink with me and said, "We're so glad you'
re not a Communist."
Ah well. They had brought my enrollment up.

the walking man said...

Because they want violent stupid felons on the street. Crime keeps police, prosecutors, judges, lawyers, funeral homes, morticians and prison guards employed.

Lana Gramlich said...

Erg...how sucky. I'm sorry about all of this & certainly hope the best for you. You're probably better off health-wise not worrying about it. Easier said than done, probably.

Anonymous said...

Kiss the frog J.T. I think it will turn into two midgets with high pockets. I hope all is well there for you guys.
Woody

Julie said...

I think most politicians grope one another and anyone or anything to advance their career/money/power. But I'm sort of cynical. I hope you don't get caught in the middle of the cuts.