Sunday, September 27, 2009

SWEATHOGS


















“They’re not people … they’re Sweathogs!”

So why should the Michigan taxpayers, or more specifically—our state legislators, earmark money for a bunch of underachievers? Cut, cut, cut! They’re convicted criminals to boot! The hell with them!

The economy’s in the toilet. Hey, while we’re at it, let’s slash Early Childhood and College Scholarship Money, and drastically reduce general education funds. The Michigan Constitution requires a balanced budget by October 1st. The financial markets have driven state revenue to a 40-year low when adjusted for inflation.

I might not be teaching for a brief while—a short temporary lay-off until the budget is determined. If so, when I return it’ll be “Welcome Back, Welcome Back …”

In other news: Congrats to Mr. Woodman for bailing from a sinking ship called the Michigan Department of Corrections and for obtaining a public school teaching job. Also, he’s started an educational blog for his students. Wish him luck here . I’m sure his boat will stay afloat. Someone said he didn’t lend anything to our prison school, but I know better. Good luck Mr. Woodman!

12 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Good luck, man. Sucks big time.

Oooh--oooh, Mr Kotter! Mr. Kotter!

Erik Donald France said...

p.s. And congrats/good luck to Mr. W, for sure.

You might could get a science or math job just about anywhere else -- if Michigan fails.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Erik,
That's exactly what Mr. W did! His science background came in handy. He was able to get out of the prison educational system after one year. Only problem I would encounter is that our public schools don't look at teaching in a prison as "real teaching experience," which means my 18 years would count for nothing.

Charles Gramlich said...

Did anyone from that group other than Travolta go on to have a career?

Mona said...

O dear, That sounds grave!

I wonder why they don't count prison education as real over there! I feel that is the hardest challenge for a teacher to be!

jodi said...

JR-my gym needs help in the daycare. I'd love to see you in there holding court with the little ones...Good luck, friend.

Anonymous said...

On Sunday, conference committees approved budgets with funding cuts in the Michigan Department of Corrections, which saw a $98.5 million reduction, and the Michigan Department of Education.

In Education, cuts included a 40 percent, $4 million reduction in state aid for local libraries and a 10 percent, $511,300 reduction in funding for the Library of Michigan. The conference committee Education budget also struck earmarks of $100,000 each for alternative teacher certification programs at Central Michigan University and Wayne State University.

wallace woodman said...

I am happy I got out, but it is bittersweet. You guys were great to work with. That is what I miss, the people (some of them). I'll bet the person who said I had nothing to lend listens to liars, loves inmates (allegedly) and generally couldn't be successful any place but where he/she is at. Good luck with the mess coming up. The new job is going great. It is good to have a supervisor who actually wants to help me succeed. Talk to you soon--Woody

Anonymous said...

Welcome Back, Welcome Back Mr. JR! --Bro, Ron

the walking man said...

The assholes in Lansing will cut everything before they touch themselves for anything. Did you get a weekend invite to Mackinaw?

ivan said...

Oh, it'll be Welcom Back Cotter again, I'm sure.
And like me in a similar situation where I had to teach idiots, you'll hate it again.

Julie said...

That sucks so much. They shouldn't even consider laying you off, JR. Too bad they're too damned stupid to know quality when they have it. I hope it doesn't happen to you.