Sunday, November 18, 2007

SUMMER OF 1972

















Sometimes we lose sight of what’s important in life, the daily grind of work robbing us of precious moments spent with family and friends. Not so in the summer of 1972. My parents and grandparents packed their campers and we headed out West to see wild buffalo, prairie dogs, the Bad Lands, Mount Rushmore, and Yellowstone National Park, among other things.

It’s hard to imagine where thirty-five years have gone. I can still feel the warm breeze on my face as my brother maneuvers a miniature milk truck in a dusty parking lot. I was the loyal passenger, a nine-year old boy, waving to Dad while he filmed us; My brother making ever widening turns, our circles becoming larger and larger, as if we had known our freedom wouldn’t last forever.

It’s the silly things in life we cherish the most—like staying at a Flintstone themed park or enjoying the built-in swimming pool with mammoth slide (hey, that’s how I remember it). I may have chickened-out at going down the damn thing—I’d hear about it and regret it whenever Dad set up the projector and ran the film—but it didn’t traumatize me too much; I've learned to laugh at myself. And to see our late grandfather heading for the luxury showers with a towel in hand made us all smile.

Unfortunately, as I tried to duplicate my brother’s feat of feeding a fawn, I got a little extra something that I hadn’t bargained for. Seems to be the story of my life.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. I’m leaving for Texas and promised not to blog while on vacation. See you when I get back.

26 comments:

Nosjunkie said...

hey sweetie I nominated you for an award please go have a look on my blog

geewits said...

It's ironic that it will be in the 80's in Houston all week until Thanksgiving day and a cold front will drop the temps to the upper 50's. Like you are taking Michigan weather with you.

I loved the movie, but hated the song. You are lucky to have those movies. We only have photographs.

Have fun here in Texas!

eric1313 said...

It sure is the silly things that get the memory going.

For me it's remembering Opryland in Nashville, Tennessee. Yep, a theme park designed around the home of the grand old opry. Now a days it's been leveled to make an exclusive gated community that Clint Black and the rest of that horse power jet-set all live in. I remember skipping through the lines and trying to get on the front seat of the coasters, eating cotton candy, and trying to sneak my mom's beer, which I hated when I finally did.

Ahh... silliness is a comforting thought.

eric1313 said...

And the video is great. Who did the editing?

the walking man said...

Jim I think you can expect us to be here waiting for the next installment. Have a peaceful and relaxing time.

Peace

Mark

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim, Happy Thanksgiving and hope you have a great Houston adventure! I see Sugar Land is safer than Detroit, so they say . . .

Beth said...

I loved that video! Brought back memories of my own childhood - and all those great home movies.

Happy Thanksgiving - and enjoy your vacation.

Charles Gramlich said...

Enjoy your break. See you when you return.

Lana Gramlich said...

Drat...the video is no longer available! Happy Thanksgiving, at any rate. Thanks for sharing your memories. :)

Leslie: said...

Have a fun time in Texas and don't stuff yourself! *hee hee* Great video - like geewits, we only have photos.

Ruth W. said...

wow....your taking a vacation? It's about time!! Have a great trip and will be waiting for your blogs when you return.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great time, and enjoy. MW :)

patterns of ink said...

Great post,JR.
I love the "and promised not to blog." I get that all the time, too, even though I don't do it every day. Have a great trip!

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

American Thanksgiving day-after-tomorrow, Thursday?
I almost forgot.

Whitenoise said...

Coincidentally, I ripped that very same song to .wav file yesterday. You have good taste in music. ;-)

Great video, interesting post.

Jo said...

Aw, JR, what a great video...! And those are the best vacations, aren't they? My mom and dad had a camper van exactly like that one, and in the summer of 1972 we went to Long Beach on Vancouver Island in it. No videos, though.

Have a great Thanksgiving, and no blogging, ya hear?

Enemy of the Republic said...

Have a great holiday!

patterns of ink said...

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Lana Gramlich said...

Ah...there's the video! Thanks for sharing. Lovely music, too. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. :)

thethinker said...

Welcome to Texas! You can take the cold weather back to Michigan when you leave.

Donnetta Lee said...

Hi, JR! Hope you and your family had a happy Thanksgiving. Good to visit your blog today.
Donnetta

eric1313 said...

"The stars tonight are big and bright"

Are you back from the snowy heart of Texas yet?

heiresschild said...

aahhh, childhood memories. feelings of nostalgia. i hope you're having a great time on your vacation.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Yes, yes, perspective is all. (Or is it ripeness?) Anyway, enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Hopefully you made it back from "sunny" Texas. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! --Bro, Ron

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Never mind what they say agin' Texas. Texas is great. Been there many times.