Saturday, November 10, 2007

IT'S WORTH THE EFFORT




















When the fishing’s rotten, after spending a fraction of my day casting and recasting my line, I reach into my five-gallon bucket of oxygen-depleted water and pick out a floater. By floater I mean that single fish, that pathetic looking mercury-laden perch dumb enough to swallow the hook on my initial cast some four or five hours ago. I’m thinking about throwing him back, about grabbing a late dinner.

A buggy eye stares back at me, and before I tighten my grip, in a desperate attempt to free itself from further torture, that faking-I’m-dead perch flaps itself out of my bare hand and onto the dock. I catch it under my boot, lean into it a little. The buggy eye bulges.

I see seagulls hovering above. I call them garbage birds, rat birds. I reattach the perch to the end of my line and cast it into the lake as far as it’ll go. I slacken my line. Somewhere out there, in the mesmerizing waves, my catch drifts away. It doesn’t take long: the seagulls glide above in diminishing circles. It doesn’t take long: my pathetic perch flies into the sunset.

I tighten my line. The startled seagull lets go. I cast my line again, not because I’m interested in catching birds, but because the fish aren’t biting. I have to do something.

***

I’d like to thank the editors of GlassFire Magazine for having faith in me. If you haven’t checked out their Fall issue, now may be as good a time as any (click here).

I’ve read their nonfiction pieces and can proudly claim that I’m in good company. In Mary Whitsell’s “On The Wrong Side of The Tracks,” she tells us about her sleepless nights in Tokyo with Keiko and Hatsue, two lesbians, friends of a friend, who agree to let her stay at their pet-filled apartment near a mass transit system. In “Love in the Time of Salmonella,” Stephanie Johnson reenacts her anger over a piece of raw chicken caught between the dish basin and the garbage disposal. Her live-in beau, Ben, a former professional chef, is sure to blame. Fortunately, her grandmother offers her some timely advice about finding the right man.

Enjoy the read and don’t forget to celebrate Veteran’s Day.

22 comments:

eric1313 said...

It sure is worth it. It has to be worth it, considering the bloody hell writers go though on their way up. Hopefully you'll land that monster when it bites.

Ratbirds is a great term. I've felt the same way about pigeons.

the walking man said...

Good going Jim, there is a satisfaction of effort there eh?

Peace

mark

Anonymous said...

Jim, That one was for the birds!!! Congrats, I just read your published article in the non-friction area of Glass Fire Magazine. I love that photo which I believe is Mom down in Florida getting attacked by the BIRDS! --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Congrats, on the publication. Fishin for seagulls? Yikes!!
MW

ivan@creeativewriting.ca said...

Eat your heart out, Richard Bach.

Christina said...

We have some fishing docks out here, but I'm not sure how successful anyone is at catching fish. Everytime we go, it smells like fish, but none of the fishermen have fish in their ice chests.

Charles Gramlich said...

I enjoyed the piece. Congrats on the publication. Reminds me of a time when we were feeding ducks at the park and the seagull bastards were flying around. Josh was a little boy at the time and threw some bread in the air. One pooped on his head and he said. "Daddy, it gave me something back."

I hate seagulls.

Beth said...

Congratulations. Excellent piece.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

A good one -- not just for the birds, but for us without the obvious wings too. Congrats, Jim.

Valley Girl said...

What exactly does a prison-educator do?

JR's Thumbprints said...

V.G.,
They babysit.

Jo said...

I like seagulls from a distance. I like the sound they make on a summer morning, but, like pigeons, they are flying rats. If you happen to be eating outside, they'll take the food right out of your hands. Nasty little things.

Lana Gramlich said...

In Canada we often refer to seagulls as the "Newfoundland Air Force." In other news, I once accidentally caught a duck while fishing. It was odd, trying to reel in something that was trying to fly away...

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

Congratulations! That's a great piece of writing and a very cool magazine.

Mary Witzl said...

Hello, fellow Glassfire writer, and thank you for commenting on my blog.

Seagalls are fantastic in the abstract -- truly beautiful, graceful, streamlined birds. Unfortunately, in the up-close-and-personal, they are rapacious, determined, and scary. And if you have ever seen one dissected, you would not believe the number of parasites they contain. Actually, maybe you would...

When I first saw the letter of acceptance from Glassfire, I thought it was a rejection. Then I realized it wasn't, so I assumed it must be a scam. But no: the check is real and it's got my name on it and everything. Wonders will never cease.

Now I'm going to go and check out your piece in Glassfire!

benjibopper said...

congrats! i enjoyed the excerpt. that picture is also stunning.

JLCGULL said...

I couldn't miss this one.

Erik Donald France said...

Congrats, Jim! Awesome --
and cool photo, too.

Bird up, Bird is the Word :->

Leslie: said...

CONGRATULATIONS JR! A very good write it is, too. Really enjoyed reading it and laughed out loud when I got to the end.

M@ said...

Garbage birds, indeed. I was in awe of PETA for their animal rescue efforts in a disaster area recently when they even saved the RATS!

I'm not that good of a man.

Jo said...

JR, that was a great story. Loved the ending!

heiresschild said...

congratulations JR; you're famous now. the ending was funny!

seagulls always remind me of the book "johnathan living seagull." there just seem to be so many of them.