Wednesday, November 28, 2007

SOME THINGS YOU JUST CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND














I’m not going to turn this into a “what I did on my vacation” slideshow, where I stand in front of a lectern and give play-by-play accounts of the indoor garden and museums my wife and I visited. I’m sure you’re not interested in that anyway, and even if you were, without getting downright mean, let me just say, “None of it should matter.”

Instead, I’m going to swallow two teaspoons of codeine-laced cough syrup (yes, a double dose) and engage in a little bit of writing before checking in for the night.

It’s back to my daily routine: teaching Michigan prisoners in an environment I’ve tried my damnedest to forget about while visiting friends in Houston. True to my word, I stayed away from blogging for fear of writing about my job, yet, when my wife saw the true-crime novel I pulled out of my carry-on luggage, I might as well have confessed for having brought Michigan’s cold miserable weather all the way to Texas.

During our flight, I managed to read a considerable amount of “The Blooding” by Joseph Wambaugh, a former Los Angeles policeman; The book covered the first murder case to use genetic fingerprinting. Interestingly enough, the police had decided to get blood samples from as many men in town as possible. Is there a better way to weed out the innocent? Of course, the guilty party, a sicko, conniving-rapist-killer by the name of Colin Pitchfork, persuaded an acquaintance to give blood in his name after switching the picture on his passport.

By now you’re probably wondering why I’m steering you away from what happened on my vacation. Believe me, there’s an eerie tie-in here; It has to do with a sketch of Baby Grace I witnessed on my friend’s television for the very first time. They informed me about numerous parents and grandparents calling from all over the United States willing to give DNA samples to see if Baby Grace belonged to them. For those of you who may not know, Baby Grace’s badly decomposed body turned up in the Galveston Bay stuffed in a utility box. One grandmother, like many more before and after her, thought the sketch looked similar to her granddaughter, who she hadn’t seen since her ex-daughter-in-law left Ohio. To make matters worse, once located, the ex-daughter-in-law refused to give a DNA sample—a sure sign of guilt.

I swear to God, as my wife and I and our friends traveled to Moody Gardens in Galveston, I tried to find comfort in the cold drizzling rain of Texas. What bothered me, really really bothered me, had been the unraveling of the Baby Grace case.

When I finished my book, I learned that it wasn’t genetic fingerprinting that led to Colin Pitchfork’s arrest for murder, it was a conversation amongst coworkers in a pub a few years after the killings, an off-hand remark of “filling-in” for Colin on a simple blood test. As for the little girl discovered in Galveston Bay, the well-publicized sketch not only led to her killers, but also heightened awareness about many other missing children.

There’s not much I can say. In fact I’m speechless; it has nothing to do with a very sore throat. As for those friendly Texans that welcomed us into their home, they mentioned the death penalty in their state, and in the case of two-year old Riley Ann Sawyers, I’m beginning to think it’s not such a bad idea for the perpetrators. If it weren’t for the codeine, I’d probably go into a tirade over what the mother and her boyfriend did to an innocent child. As for me, it’s back to work dealing with Michigan criminals who must serve their times for a variety of offenses, including child abuse.

19 comments:

Nosjunkie said...

hahaha
I think you have a job worth thinking and reading about so why not write about it
thats afterall why I come around here

Erik Donald France said...

Welcome back, Jim, with a story grim. Evil in the world wherever humans dwell. Hopefully plantlife is more neutral. Death penalty or no probably makes no difference overall. Salud!

Inspector Clueso said...

Shads of zee Laci Peterson, eh?

Short bus and special said...

Do the questions wutg abswers that Walkings Man has today, too, Jim.

Beth said...

Glad to see you back - although this was a sad, depressing tale. Too bad you were thinking/dealing with it on your vacation.
(Hope you're feeling better.)

Charles Gramlich said...

I've never been against the death penalty. I don't think it means that we are uncivilized as a people if we allow it. It means that in a civilization there is some form of justice. I wouldn't mind taking out a child molster for example. Unfortunately, the way the death penalty is applied is not very fair or just in many cases.

Lana Gramlich said...

It's all so terribly sad...Baby Grace & all of the other children who have suffered & died in horrendous ways. Things like this make me think "an eye for an eye" isn't a bad thing.

eric1313 said...

That is creepy. And really, all kinds of people in the US tried to win a genetic lotto to get a baby? That's even creepier.

Ahh, you were on the Gulf coast. I have several readers from Texas, but they're mostly from Odessa and it's outlying parts. It snowed ll over them (about four inches, enough to freak them out). Global warming sure is strange, huh?

Hope you unwound just a bit--even though I'm sure your work winds you just as tight as when you left in the first hour of contact alone.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back JR, quote the Raven, "Nevermore." MW

Ruth W. said...

hope you feel better soon. Call in sick if you have too.

geewits said...

Welcome back. Geez, I thought you'd be all jolly after a nice vacation. I'm just silly like that.

Yes, here in Texas we use our criminals to mop the floor and then we toss them in the trash. Texas: The No-Coddling State.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Welcome Back! I had heard that the weather wasn't that great in Texas. Looks like you brought the bad weather back to Michigan. Hope you at least got to travel around to see things in the "other" part of the US! Sounds like you also got sick. Better get to bed and sleep it off. Ciao! --Bro, Ron

Jo said...

Welcome back, JR. When I read the details of what had been done to that little girl, I wanted to find the mother and the boyfriend myself and have five minutes alone in a room with them. I would be armed with a standard issue RCMP taser, of course.

Poor wee thing.

the walking man said...

Jim, the level of brutality against children has been on the rise for decades, it is one of those things that you never can escape because it happens everywhere on earth. Maybe you should have left the Wambaugh at home too and taken something not connected to that closely to your work reality.

But I am glad you got there and back and did something other than watch the news. Now at least when your mind shifts to recent memory mode it will at least someties go to gardens and other stuff you saw in the drizzle of a Texas fall.

Peace

mark

patterns of ink said...

Jim,
Erik's right: "Evil in the world wherever humans dwell." It's the story of the planet--barring divine intervention--and an ongoing epic battle between good and evil since that time. Have you heard this song on the radio?
Meant to Live for so Much More It's not exactly my style, but the lyrics speak to this conflict between the way things are and our longing for what was meant to be.
Glad you had safe trip back to your corner of the world. =)

Donnetta Lee said...

Hi, JR. The little children suffer.

Hope you get to feeling better soon

Donnetta

ivan said...

Don't even want to discuss monsters and their children.

But ain't Texas great?

geewits said...

And for a queasy update on this horrible story, the "mom" is pregnant. (shudder)

eric1313 said...

Have a great weekend, Jim.

Peace out.

"May the schwartz be with you"