Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A SMALL CORRESPONDENCE













After the rejection of “Cocoon Man,” I decided to try Staccato Fiction again. Here is my correspondence with the editor:

Matt,

I absolutely loved the voice in "Whatever Happened to Sue Ellen?" One of my favorites so far. You know you're picking good stories when other writers are envious.

I humbly submit "Animus" and hope you will consider it.

Thanks in advance,
JR

*****

JR-

We absolutely loved "Animus" and would be thrilled to publish it on Staccato. Is it still available? If so, can you send a short bio?

Also, I hope you won't be offended if we suggest a small editorial change: the name "Old Man Baker" sounds a bit out of place here and reminds us of old episodes of "Lassie." Would you consider changing it to Mr. Baker? It's a small objection, but in an otherwise pitch-perfect story, I think it really jumps out.

Let me know what you think.

Best,
Matt
Staccatofiction.com/

*****

Matt,

You just made my day. I love the layout of Staccato Fiction, as well as the stories. Also, you are absolutely correct on the editorial changes.

Incidentally, Staccato was my first and only choice for "Animus," and it would be an honor to have my story on your website.

Sincerely,
JR

16 comments:

the walking man said...

so Jim...now that this year is coming to a close would you say that publication wise has it been the best for you thus far?

Tina said...

Well done! That's really cool.

Beth said...

Congratulations!

Charles Gramlich said...

You are steadily mastering the delicate approach. Well done. Hurray!

Four Dinners said...

Excellent stuff!!! Is it there yet? I'm for a look.

Well done indeed old bean. Well done indeed!

wallace woodman said...

Way to schmooz 'em. Congratulations.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'll let everyone know when Staccato posts the story.

TWM, I'll have to take inventory of what I did and did not accomplish in 2009. It's been a strange year.

jodi said...

JR-prouda you, I yam!

Shelly Rayedeane said...

Perhaps you accomplished more then you thought you did this year but just didn't realize it?

Sometimes God works in mysterious ways. Perhaps you affected the lives of others and just didn't realize it.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

You silver-tongued devil, you.

In the past I'd have to work on an editor's hang-ups, weaknesses,sexual preference, books he's read and all that to butter my way in.
But you did a carom and good on you.

Julie said...

Congratulations, JR! That is awesome news. Yes, please do let us know when it's up. I look forward to reading it. Your stories rock the world. I'm also intrigued by the title.

Anonymous said...

Congrats JR and with your job you will have continous mounds of bullshit to write from...

Sincerely,

I did not shoot the sheriff but I most certainly puckered the deputies ass. BEBE

Whitenoise said...

Look forward to reading your story. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I'm just here soaking up the sun in sunny Florida and came across your blog. Hey, you get any monies for the article?

Anonymous said...

I'm here in sunny Florida soaking up some rays and came across your blog. You get any monies with that post?

Anonymous said...

You get any monies with that ther post?