Saturday, December 5, 2009

LEFT HAND DRINKING













Attention Dale:

Attached in RTF format is my story, "The Trigger Man & His Accomplice." I hope you will consider it for Left Hand Waving.

Sincerely, JR

*****

Hi JR,

Thanks for submitting. We've had a look at the story (and the photo). We can't use it as it is but I wonder if you'd consider a rewrite and resubmission. One of my greatest weaknesses as an editor, and there are many, is providing direction on rewrites, but I'm going to give it a shot, because we like the story and love the addition of the photo. Interested?

Dale

*****

Hey Dale,

I was a bit hesitant in sending this piece because my left hand isn't waving in the photo, so any advice on a rewrite or tidbits of what you're thinking would be greatly appreciated. Tell me what you did or didn't like about the piece (working with prisoners, I can take the criticism) and I'll try an edit.

Thanks, JR

*****

I absolutely love Right Hand Pointing and their sister publication, Left Hand Waving. So why am I waiting … waiting … waiting, I think it's still my move. *BTW, this isn't the picture.

13 comments:

the walking man said...

Want the Girls of Sunday night to give it a look? We are involved right now in a lengthy piece edit right now but if it's not too long...

JR's Thumbprints said...

TWM,
I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll fly solo on this. I'm fairly stubborn with my words, which is probably another of a long list of reasons why I don't get published very often. Thanks again.

catvibe said...

Best of luck on the rewrite. The guy sounds like a nice editor!

Beth said...

A bit of a conundrum. If the wait has been long, I’d do a rewrite and re-submit now. You can always do another rewrite if and when you hear from him/her.
Congratulations on the next best thing to an outright acceptance!

Anonymous said...

I don't get it! Why ya waitin?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey Anon,
Why do a rewrite if I'm going to get spun; I can go to the prison and get spun all day long.

Four Dinners said...

Maybe a picture with 'the finger'?.....;-)

Charles Gramlich said...

Those are some intersting titles for magazines.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Oh have I been there with House of Anansi Press in Toronto.

Makes me think of Alanis Morisette's song,
"I got one hand in my pocket and the other is making a peace sign."

Word to the wise: Never disagree with an editor on changes.

It always comes out better than you first wrote it, and people will think you are clever and did it all by yourself. Why do you think the stories in the Old New Yorker were so good? Because there were probably seventeen editors on it and what the writer had first submitted may have been just dreck.
Ah but the days of the old New Yorker are over. Or, for that matter, almost miraculous editors like Maxwell Perkins, or later Clay Felker of New York, a different publication.

Lana Gramlich said...

If it's been a couple of weeks, I'd definitely shoot them another e-mail. Good luck!

Erik Donald France said...

Very funny, man -- your take on the whole thing. I do like *this* photo, certainly. Now I want Scotch or something!

wallace woodman said...

That glass in your hand looks like a freshly dead soldier. Time for a refill. Good times.

jodi said...

JR-dunno what to say. Can't even imagine the dilemma. Have fun with it-and get another cocktail!