Monday, December 14, 2009

EMPOWERMENT














Last Month: A young Vice Lord says, “I’m gonna get you fired.” He’s waving a torn sheet of paper in the air. It has one lousy word written on it. “They (custody staff) will know it’s your handwriting.”

“Who really cares?” I reply.

“You’re gonna look mighty stupid once they find out.”

I shrug my shoulders.

“What you gotta say for yourself, Teach?”

I choose my words carefully, giving him a clear understanding of the aftermath. “First of all,” I explain, “it was inappropriate of you to ask me to spell the M-word. I could’ve written you a 057 Sexual Misconduct ticket. Instead, I remained professional and spelled a word similar in meaning. Second, the nature of your felony (Criminal Sexual Conduct) should be enough for you not to press this non-issue. And third, it’s not as big a deal as you’re trying to make it, especially since I can make it bigger.” Then, for added emphasis, “It’s your move.”

He stuffs the scrap paper back into his shirt pocket. “I’m keeping it,” he says, “for insurance purposes.”

I tell him it’s okay, everyone needs a security blanket once in awhile.

The controversial word that’s such a non-issue: onanism.

Today: A young Vice Lord, still carrying around that scrap sheet of paper, qualifies for his GED Exams. He does it the good old fashion way—by studying and doing well on his standardized tests.

Old Pic: Fisher's 666 in Detroit

8 comments:

Beth said...

Maybe holding on to that scrap of paper - that security blanket - did help after all. ;)

Charles Gramlich said...

Hum, yeah, that word is a really bad one! lol.

wallace woodman said...

Perhaps instead of holding the piece of paper he should be holing something else, if he wants to be a praticioner of onenism. Once he gets his GED he could get his Master's in fishing. With a concentration in bait. Then he would be a Master Baiter. I think that is a felon friendly career option. Best of luck to the young fella.

jodi said...

JR-YOU have the power--Thank God! Love the pic. Did you have a cocktail?

Four Dinners said...

You have the patience of a saint old bean.

Maybe the odd one will realise and appreciate?

Maybe he will....eventually.

Whitenoise said...

I admire the way you maintain your cool.

Shelly Rayedeane said...

I especially loved the ending where you basically said you earn you're living instead of cheating to get ahead. If you ask me, that is true empowerment.

After all, the person who knows what they are capable of rarely needs to cheat in life.

Julie said...

Coitus interruptus. What a frustrating word.

Sorry...that was a bad joke. But I had to say it.

I love your pictures, JR!