Sunday, November 22, 2009

YOU'RE NEVER ALONE ...















There once was a time where I held semi-normal conversations with inmates—current events, sports, the weather (small talk really)—but not so much anymore; Now it’s all gibberish and drool and impassive stares.

 Coming back from the lunchroom, I witness stacks of boxes being wheeled into the facility on a daily basis--just like clockwork. Last I heard, approximately thirty-four thousand dollars a month is spent on various skittles which are dispensed, swallowed, regurgitated, bartered, and swallowed again.

 Two days. I need to get through two more workdays. Then I can relax, eat some turkey (wife’s going to stuff it with some lemons per Rachel Ray’s recommendation) and watch some football.

 In those two remaining workdays, I need to calm down a new student, a forty-three year old man with Schizoaffective Disorder. He seems to think the Michigan Department of Corrections will honor a worn & tattered memorandum from 2005; it’s from the United States Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Prisons, granting him permission not to attend school based on his combined limited intellectual ability and serious illness. He was as proud as a nervous, ultra-hyper, peacock showing me this document.

 I guess he’s never read the Schizophrenics Anonymous Steps for Recovery:
  1. I SURRENDER … I admit I need help. I can’t do it alone.
  2. I CHOOSE … to be well. I take full responsibility for my choices and realize the choices I make directly influence the quality of my days.
  3. I BELIEVE … that I have been provided with great inner resources and I will use these resources to help myself and others.
  4. I FORGIVE … myself for all the mistakes I have made. I also forgive and release everyone who has injured or harmed me in any way.
  5. I UNDERSTAND … that erroneous, self-defeating thinking contributes to my problems, failures, unhappiness and fears. I am ready to have my belief system altered so my life can be transformed.
  6. I DECIDE … to turn my life over to the care of God, as I understand Him, surrendering my will and false beliefs. I ask to be changed in depth.
I’m afraid he’s stuck on steps number one and two. His choice not to attend class will result in “00 Status”—no prison job, no pay, no nothing. After thirty days, per the school operating procedure, he’ll be re-enrolled in school and subsequently placed back on “00 Status.”

12 comments:

the walking man said...

I wonder, had we not closed all of the mental hospitals and shut all the psychiatric clinics the government used to run, if these guys would have been in a position to wind up in prison.

wallace woodman said...

Whack-a-dos you gotta love 'em. Or write them a ticket recommending "00" whichever is easier. I would try to keep him around, he sounds fun. Is he a seven block resident? Those guys tell the best stories. It takes a certain sick sense of humor doens't it? You are just living the dream JR... living the dream.

Mary Witzl said...

The Schizophrenics' Anonymous Steps for Recovery sounds like something a lot of us would profit from.

Every time I have to wrestle a mobile phone from one of my 200+-pound Azeri kids or take lip from one of my great hulking Turkish football players, I will remember your guys regurgitating their pills and bartering them. And I find myself wondering just how tough calling roll must be for you. Remind me to shut up when I next feel like whining about my students (which will be tomorrow).

Charles Gramlich said...

Pretty much the definition of spinning your wheels. He'll be right back where he started but not where he thought he wanted to go.

Tina said...

You have such a tough job and such a good heart

jodi said...

JR-WM is right. Poor dude probably needed therapy and medication instead of incarceration. Oh, I've heard that lemon thing is really good. Enjoy your time off and Thanksgiving dinner.

Julie said...

I need to print out those steps and hang them on my wall. I agree with Tina. You have such a tough job and good heart. I hope the lemon turkey is delicious, and you have a chance to enjoy the time off and forget all the crap.

Julie said...

P.S. - I meant to add that's a cool picture.

Erik Donald France said...

I believe that it may not be a bad thing that we're all mortal. How much can we each take in one lifetime before the gravity of the situation gets us?

JR's Thumbprints said...

WW understands the meaning behind the word 'Corrections'. Mistakes will be made ... and corrected ... and made ... and corrected ... and made ...

Two days. Here goes Day one. Wish me luck in the underworld and thanks for the comments.

Four Dinners said...

Any idea what the point of it all is? I haven't.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Nice Ian Hunter pic...Mott The
Hoople eh? Now there's a memory or three.

ShadowFalcon said...

How very sad that he ended up in prison, perhaps with better care and education (rather then a I can't learn pass) earlier on he might not of ended up there, but 'm just speculating