Thursday, November 12, 2009

OVERWHELMING NUMBERS


















When you’re looking for something, searching with all your might, and when you put your finger on it (in this case: a childhood photo circa 1973), the reality behind the search and the reality behind the subsequent discovery, can leave you speechless.

On March 8, 1973, I was a 9 year old boy. (Here I am, posing with my brother.)

On March 8, 1973, a Detroit teenager learned his fate.

Twenty-five years later we would meet: I, the convict-teacher, and he, the convict-student. He would earn the nickname “Speedboat” due to his learning difficulties, for what was written in his court transcripts, that he would never earn his high school equivalency diploma, that with an IQ of 75 he was mildly retarded. However, he proved the experts wrong; he passed his GED after studying mathematics in my classroom. This was approximately 10 years ago; It took him 17 years to complete.

Last week, he gave me a rather large envelope and requested that I look at its contents. In it I saw an official looking document with an embossed gold seal. Here’s part of what it said:

To the Michigan Department of Corrections,

Whereas, in the Circuit Court for the County of Oakland, (______) was convicted of the crimes of First Degree Murder and Conspiracy to Commit First Degree Murder. He was sentenced to imprisonment for two life terms;

And Whereas, the Michigan Parole Board has recommended . . .

Now Therefore, I, Jennifer M. Granholm, Governor of the State of Michigan, do hereby commute the sentences of (______) to terms of thirty-seven years, four months, fifteen days minimum to life maximum and thirty-seven years, four months, fifteen days minimum to life maximum, thereby making him eligible for parole on February 27, 2009.

You are hereby required to make your records conform to this commutation.

With approximately 18 years correctional education experience, this is the very first Letter of Commutation I’ve seen. Speedboat made the following announcement to my students: “Never give up hope. Keep trying.”

I remained speechless, overwhelmed by the numbers.

14 comments:

Whitenoise said...

It's certainly a lot to think about, even without understanding the nuances of your prison system or the odds of gaining clemency. He's been away from society for a very long time, let's hope that he can learn to become a productive member.

OTOH, although I'm sure that I had a pair myself back in 1973, those pants are positively criminal...

the walking man said...

I suppose it is not necessary to ask where the guy will be paroled to. Now that he is thoroughly institutionalized and completely unaware of the world how is the state going to support him in a better way than he has(d) prior to his parole?

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Charles Gramlich said...

The world is going to be a strange place for him. It's pretty damn strange for me.

jodi said...

JR-Good luck to him. Remember how Billy Bob Thornton's character was so puzzled when he got out of prison in "Slingblade?" It's not gonna be easy for him.

Anonymous said...

Maybe those pants will come back in style once he's paroled.

wallace woodman said...

Motorboat Motorboat learn so slow. Will he be another MPRI success story, or will he be one of most who come back to you? Maybe he will be on Rush Street Sundays shaking his cup singing "Eat em up Lions eat em up". Does that employment requirement for the program?

wallace woodman said...

I think that Eat em up Lions guy filed a grievance against me because he forgot everything every weekend. He was one of the esteemed 7 block residents. The good ole (get it) days.

JR's Thumbprints said...

WW,
That's not such a stretch from handing out rec equipment in the prison. I guess the "real" overwhelming number is Michigan's budget. I told Speedboat that the main reason behind all this had to do with M-O-N-E-Y. I can't even imagine how he'll adjust to his new found freedom.

Rick said...

You've given us a lot to think about, JR. I'm not even sure I understand what it means. I'm hoping for the best for this guy, but it seems like a long and tortuous future ahead for him.

Tina said...

Moving and inspiring.

Anonymous said...

JR, Nice pants we got there!!!! Did you run this photo by me?? :) Ungodly awful looking BUT those were the cool days!!! Hey, Speedboat probaby has a tougher life back out on the outside. Looks like he's a credit to your great teaching skills!!! Bro, Ron

Julie said...

Funkadelic pants! Send him on down to my state. The brilliant folks in charge will give him a medal if he murdered somebody. One (or all) of the universities will make a documentary about his life. Then he can become a tenured poetry professor. Hee hee.

Okay, I'm being a hard hearted jerk. I don't know anything about him. Shew. Hats off to you again, JR. How do you do it? The word murder makes me too emotional.

Lana Gramlich said...

I will hope that he uses his GED for good...