Sunday, November 15, 2009

TESTED. CONGRATULATIONS, YOU QUALIFY.












After seven days in the box (otherwise known as segregation), Prisoner Smith reappears in my classroom. Last time I had seen him, he was writing an essay.

“That’s some real bullshit,” he announces upon entry.

He’s referring to the fighting ticket I had written on him. I acknowledge his claim of injustice. “You had an opportunity to get out of the situation, but you chose to fight instead.”

“He sucker-punched me.”

This is a valid point. During a GED half-testing session—where they try to qualify for the actual GED exams—another prisoner took his best shot at the side of Smith’s head. Smith quickly stood his ground, as if the glancing blow hadn’t fazed him, and said, “So you wanna go again do yah?” Then he put up his dukes. I yelled for him to exit my classroom immediately. Another teacher in the hallway assisted; He opened the classroom door so Smith could make his escape.

He’s laughing now. “What you’re saying,” he sort of asks, “is that you wouldn’t have wrote the fighting ticket if I had ran out of your classroom.”

“Well …” I hesitate. “Not exactly.”

He waits for an explanation.

“The way it was explained to me,” I continue, “is that when you got into your boxer’s stance, you were showing an outward sign of aggression. Per policy and the Prisoner Rule Violation book, this fits the description of fighting.”

He shakes his head in disbelief. “Then I did the right thing?”

“I’m not going to answer that,” I say. He’s referring to his decision to serve up a five-piece combo, backing his opponent into a corner of my classroom with his superior boxing skills. “You qualified for the GED exams and you’re scheduled to take them next week,” I add.

He doesn’t seem to care about the GED, but he's no dummy; he understands perfectly clear how to survive in here.

13 comments:

Tina said...

This is fascinating to me. I just can't wait to read more!

wallace woodman said...

Who cares who punche who and who started it. The most important thing is that he completed the half test and is out of seg in time to take the GED. Now your numbers will be improved by one in Lansing's eyes. It is all about the numbers. They can peice each other up all they want, as long as your numbers are good. You don't want the midgets on your back. Get those completions.

JR's Thumbprints said...

WW,
Coming from you, spoken like a true administrator.

As much as you like to travel, how come you're not in Minnesota right now? I know how much you love those Detroit Lions.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Tina,
It's just another day in the life of a convict teacher. It's rather routine after awhile. Thanks for stopping in.

jodi said...

JR-I've never know any guy who could walk away from a sucker punch. I suppose they even have more to prove on the inside. Enjoy this fall day--it's lovely!

Charles Gramlich said...

Yeah, I can't quite imagine him walking away. I think if I were in prison I'd want to spend most of my time in solitary.

wallace woodman said...

I am enjoying a less traveled life these days. No reason to roam. Although I was putting an extreme number of miles on my car there for a while. One benefit however was enjoying this beautiful country of ours. Not to mention honing my interview skills. I enjoy not having to hide my name on your blog.

Erik Donald France said...

p.s. and the sketch is cool, too.

Erik Donald France said...

Nice turn of phrase and events, man. I dig the way it ends.

Anonymous said...

Let Him Have At It!!! :) Bro, Ron

Jo said...

It sounds as if, no matter what, he stands up for himself. Sometimes that's important too, especially in there. Now he can get his GED. I detect a certain pride in him.

I was just wondering today how you are, and there you are. :-)

Julie said...

I'm glad I never went to prison. It would be hard to not get my ass kicked on a daily basis. It's bad enough having brothers. Good writing, as always, JR.

the walking man said...

ya have to do what ya have to do when you the monkey in the zoo.