Saturday, November 14, 2009

A POTENTIALLY EXPLOSIVE SITUATION















It hasn’t happened … yet. But in the foreseeable future someone’s going to get slapped with a sexual harassment claim, someone’s going to get burned. And why not?

Yesterday, I’m making copies of worksheets when a coworker says, “This is the best weekend to hit the bars.” He’s not speaking to me, but to another coworker, a female. Still, the conversation is meant to be an open invitation for anyone to participate.

“This weekend?” she asks, somewhat puzzled. “What about …”

Before she can finish, he starts up again. “It’s the beginning of deer hunting season. While all those husbands are in the woods looking to shoot Bambi, their wives will be in the bars looking for some action of their own.”

He laughs; she laughs.

I’m not amused. He’s married. She’s married. I’m married.

On another occasion, I’m waiting my turn to speak to this same female coworker when a male coworker steps out of her office, and for reasons I’m not sure of (maybe he thinks I’ll be impressed) he leans back inside the door frame and says, “You can put your shirt back on now.”

He laughs; she laughs.

I do what is starting to become routine: I turn and walk away. No sense in being part of the situation. It’s hard to believe this type of behavior takes place inside a prison. It’s no different than playing with matches inside a place that manufactures fireworks. Soon enough, sparks will fly; soon enough, there will be a chain reaction of explosions; soon enough, there will be depositions and lawsuits. What started out as innocent banter between the sexes will careen out of control. It always does.

11 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

The potential for destruction certainly sounds high. And people will continue to push harder and harder, make more an more outrageous statements. It's the nature of the beast.

Tina said...

Your blog is fascinating. It's well written and an amazing perspective on a different world.

wallace woodman said...

It is funny, (or sad depending on perspective) I can not only see all the players, but I can hear the words. Some things never change. Player A steals the ribs, player B is a good listener, player C calls player D ditzee (or was it dingy?). You did well to get out of the palace before you got any on ya. It really puts the ho in hostile work environment.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that.

Whitenoise said...

Try walking the minefield between the flight deck and forward galley. Female flight attendants know that they can say anything to male pilots. The other direction of that communication has a completely different dynamic.

the walking man said...

As long as you know nothing to be deposed about the shit can fly wherever the fan throws it. *shrug* Stupidity is not bordered in nor out by walls and razor wire.

Anonymous said...

They are idiots who operate with vitual impunity. I can understand how it bothers you. It bothers me as well. MW

Anonymous said...

ooops... should have been virtual. Still recovering from son's wedding. Enjoyed the read MW.

Anonymous said...

JR, A spitten image "photo" of ya!!! Bro, Ron

Julie said...

You are so right. I've seen it happen too many times. I actually worked with a woman who slept with a manager, then she got mad for whatever reason and filed a suit against him. It was ridiculous, and it pisses me off when women pull the "sexual harassment" card for no reason. The charges never amounted to anything, but it ruined the man's reputation as a boss. But then again, I didn't feel sorry for him, because he was married. You're smart to walk away from the giggly talk.

Lana Gramlich said...

My last workplace was like that. The VP & my own supervisor often ogled women on the security cameras. Made me downright sick. I'm so glad that's over.