Tuesday, November 10, 2009

ATTEMPTED ESCAPE













It’s true, I’m going through the motions, putting in my time—aren’t we all? And because of my complacency our facility almost had an inmate escape. Here’s what happened:

Every weekday at fifteen-hundred twenty hours I hear the following announcement: “Building 300 is closed. All prisoners return to your housing unit.”

My students file out, that’s the routine—lock-up and be counted.

“See you tomorrow Teach,” someone says.

I load up my cart: pencil box, stapler, three-hole punch, class binders, and dictionaries, and I roll the cart into a secured storage area. I give an A-O-K nod to the corrections officer making one final round. I power down my computer and lock my desk drawer and filing cabinets.

Nothing beats getting out of prison at the regular scheduled hour. No emergency situations. No sirens. No extra duty.

I put my coat on and just before I hit the light switches, I notice a young man sleeping in the back of the classroom.

“Hudson,” I yell. “Get the ##@$% out of my classroom!”

Hudson rises for a hot second, long enough to shake his dream world. His sleepy left leg doesn’t cooperate and he falls to the floor.

“You’re gonna miss count!”

He stands again, falls again—more encouragement from me. Soon he’s dragging his left leg down the hallway like Egor. He knows that if he doesn’t make it back to his cell on time he’ll be charged with an attempted escape. There are no excuses. He knows better.

12 comments:

the walking man said...

There is always a way to escape; though it appears young Mr. Hudson was about to sleep through his.

Donsie said...

Sometimes you need a wakeup call to realise you are sleeping your way through an "emergency"... Must be honest, I like routine, life would be great if you had the type of routine... but life can't be that easy right? :P

Charles Gramlich said...

A sleep escape. Makes me think of the Star Rover by London. There was a guy knew some stuff about prisons.

Four Dinners said...

Dreams ain't a bad escape though you know.....

JR's Thumbprints said...

... unless you got Big Bubba spooning you.

Erik Donald France said...

Mr. Hudson to housing stat! Good one.

the walking man said...

"... unless you got Big Bubba spooning you."

Dude I love your cynical wit

jodi said...

J.R.- I escape WHEN I go to sleep. MMMMMMmmmm, time for a nap. Love the pic!

Anonymous said...

Hey, You were almost an accomplice!
MW

wallace woodman said...

If I were you I would be expecting that questionnaire any moment. Maybe you could get some much deserved time off. One could only hope right? We need good Math teachers here in the Valley. You can stay in our guest room. Just an idea. You know the midgets would do nothing to back you if it came down to it. Good luck.

JR's Thumbprints said...

WW, Yeah, my proverbial twin hams are in the wind (how's that for deflecting what may be obvious). As for time off, seems the Milk Dud has disappeared due to a "stop order." Such is life working in the prison system.

Anonymous said...

How funny!!! The dude must have had a nice dream of being on the outside with society!! Bro, Ron