Friday, August 28, 2009

PRISON JUSTICE FOR ALL













In my next to last post I reported how Prisoner M opened a can of whup-ass on Prisoner V. Prior to this incident I had spoken with Prisoner M:

“Is something bothering you?” I had asked. “You look pissed.”

He approached my desk, sat down, and spoke softly. “My family sent me a money order to buy headphones. I just got them and one of these mother-fuckers stole them.”

Although Prisoner M is a low functioning student with an IQ of approximately 70, he does mind his own business and tends to his school work.

“Sorry to hear that,” I said. I scanned the room, then added, “Look, if it’s someone in this classroom, you need to settle your differences elsewhere. Understood?”

“Oh no,” he said. “I wouldn’t do anything in here.” He claimed to have spoken with his counselor back in the unit to see if she could help.

Two days later, he cold-cocked Prisoner V; Pieced him up real good.

Here’s the irony: I claimed an assault took place in my classroom; the Hearings Officer, on the other hand, concluded that it was a fight. That’s how Kangaroo Court works I guess.

As of today, Prisoner M is back in his unit; while, Prisoner V is still in segregation. I can think of two possible scenarios: 1) custody staff shook down Prisoner V’s cell and found the missing headphones, thus letting Prisoner M out. Or 2) both were let out of segregation, but Prisoner V elected to stay there until he’s transferred.

15 comments:

Stewart Sternberg said...

JR...what's going on with changes in funding in the correctional system regarding education? Is there still a push to rush people through, to try and get as many people in holding a GED as possible, or has it morphed into something else. Of course, your situation would be different, I know that given the long term setting, the curriculum is more involved, but the short term folk, especially out in St. Clair county seem to be shoving them through as quickly as possible.

Just curious.

the walking man said...

see trees of green........ red roses too
I see em bloom..... for me and for you
And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue..... clouds of white
Bright blessed days....dark sacred nights
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world.

The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
Are also on the faces.....of people ..going by
I see friends shaking hands.....sayin.. how do you do
Theyre really sayin......i love you.

I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow
Theyll learn much more.....than Ill never know
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world

(instrumental break)

The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
Are there on the faces.....of people ..going by
I see friends shaking hands.....sayin.. how do you do
Theyre really sayin...*spoken*(I ....love....you).

I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow
*spoken*(you know their gonna learn
A whole lot more than Ill never know)
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself .......what a wonderful world.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Stewart,
From my observations, there's been an increase in paroles due to MPRI (Michigan Prisoner ReEntry Initiative).

Sex offenders seem to be paroling as well. Sixty sex offenders were paroled from Ryan Correctional Facility until it was determined that they hadn't served enough time.

As for school and obtaining a GED, it doesn't seem very important in here. Instead, we can push them your way - adult education in the real world. Mind you, some of them had poor attendance in here, which in turn means you'll never see them anyway.

Footnote: The Detroit Rapist attended academic classes at our facility prior to his parole and new case.

It's a wonderful world when we can keep repeat offenders locked-up.

Beth said...

Life on the inside - just more of the same of life on the outside.

Bebo said...

JR: I applaud you. You do work - obviously both your vocation and avocation - that I would never have the balls to do. Or guts. Or hutzpah.

I applaud the fact that you do this work, and yet you keep your soul - intact? well, maybe taped together w/ duct-tape, but hey you've still got it.

I wish my son could have known someone like you while he was doing his time.

Charles Gramlich said...

A lot of hard feelings have been generated over the years by thieves.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

...Agree with Beth.

Some say we in the Fifties lived in a penal colony. But this is one mortarforker of a start to the millenium.

Anonymous said...

Got my CWP and can't wait for the games to begin when Jenny releases the 3,500 sex offenders on the Metro Detroit area this October 1, 2009. Half of them don't have GED's but from what we have seen so far...they will have hard ons.
MW

Mona said...

who knows what is going on in V's mind...

jodi said...

JR-Hope that poor dude gets his headphones back. I ABJOR theft. My sister's house got broken into last weekend. Scary.

Lou said...

The wrath of thieves who get thieved knows no bounds.

Donsie said...

I cant help feeling sorry for people that find themselves in situations like this.
Yes I also believe you made your bed sleep in it... but sometimes life is so unfair. :(

Whitenoise said...

I guess the headphones weren't noise-canceling, eh? ;-)

jason evans said...

I have a feeling we'd be ready to create a culture in any situation existence could dream up. Not all of them terribly good.

Julie said...

JR, every time I hear something on the news about some absurd goings on with or in the prisons, I always wonder what you would say about it. I think I know. Again, I shake my head in awe.