Sunday, August 23, 2009

MOVING TO A BETTER PLACE













There’s a mentoring program at our prison where seasoned veterans (old heads) train new employees how to survive. I’m not part of this program. And for good reason. If I were, I’d tell the new teachers: “Get out. Don’t stay here. You’ll never get the experience needed for the public schools and chances of getting promoted are next to nil.”

Most new teachers figure this out and leave within the first few years. Here’s why: Try interviewing with a public school district and having to bite your tongue when they tell you your prison gig isn’t “real” teaching, that for all practical purposes, it’ s not teaching at all. Try telling a panel of public school administrators that there wouldn’t be a need for all those years in a correctional education setting if they’d done a better job policing their at risk students instead of expelling them. Try telling the public school personnel director that your current job requires you to be certified by the State of Michigan just like the teachers in their school district. Try all you might, you’re wasting your breath. Doesn’t matter to them. Doesn’t even matter that you’re certified in an area of need (Math & Science). None of it counts.

I bring this up because we lost a good educator this week. Someone certified in Science at the Secondary Level. Someone holding an advanced degree and School Administrator’s Certificate. Although none of his so-called “prison teaching” counts toward his new job, I believe he gained invaluable experience. He got out with approximately one year under his belt. I wish him well out there in the free-world. Sometime in the near future he’ll become a highly effective school principal, someone who knows first hand where a student’s last resort educational opportunities might be, someone who knows just how stressful teaching in a prison really is. Good luck with your new job, Mr. Woodman! We’ll miss you!

18 comments:

Beth said...

So not fair and does not make sense. I'd have thought the challenges of teaching in a prison would increase one's worth and desirability for placement elsewhere.

Catvibe said...

That just is NOT right. I would think that learning to handle prisoners well would be a good skill for a teacher of kids to have! Oh, I see Beth just said the same thing. But it is true!

Anyway, just catching up on your last few posts. The pine tree post was really touching.

the walking man said...

It seems to me given the current climate of education SE MI you're experience would be highly sought after. That it is considered a demerit to your abilities is an indication of the mindset of them who are actually feeding the prison system.

I wonder though Jim, if you do interview and get that feeling they are dismissing your credentials, why should you hold your tongue. Why not deliver them the indictment that your experiences charges them with?

Lana Gramlich said...

If anything (especially THESE days,) it sounds like the public school system would greatly benefit from the experiences of prison teachers...unfortunately. Humans are such a disinclusive race, unfortunately. Us vs. Them & all that. I experience it in different ways. For example, I was born & raised in the US, lived for many years in Canada & am a leagl citizen of both. To my Canadian friends, however, I'm American. To my American friends, I'm Canadian. Go figure...

Lou said...

I appreciate all you do with the resources you are given.

It sounds trite, but if you can change the course of one life, I would consider it a job done well and honorably.

Celticspirit said...

I don't know how you do it day after day after reading about all the things that go on with your job. Those public school educators should spend a day in your shoes and I'm betting they would quickly change their minds about the prison educators.

jason evans said...

Sorry that you're losing him. And for the bias against the job.

Anonymous said...

JR, Sorry to hear about a GOOD teacher/worker leaving your work area! So, where is he going to teach? Also, I wouldn't give up on looking at the Public School system.
It's like my situation this past year. I was so engrained in the Auto Industry and when I went to get a job in the Defense Industry, I was told that I didn't have any Defense experience/background....
I didn't give up and I was persistent!! I wasn't going to let some ***** Government person tell me that I wasn't qualified.
Look at the "skills" you can bring to the table! It was rough going for a while as you well know, but I'm glad (not totally sure about this) that I'm working for the "Government". I have a job!!!!!
It should be easier for you to go from the Prison Teaching system to the Public Teaching system. It's how you bring your skills to their needs. Never say never!!! :)
Oh, by the way, I like that Mustang convertible in the photo that you are standing next to. You sure you don't want to buy it? --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

JR, Also wanted to mention, I like the title of this post, "Moving to a Better Place". It's sort of ironic that who knows, that may apply to me as well..... You never know until you give it a try. -Bro

ivan@creativeriting.ca said...

Goodbye Mr. Chips from Blackboard Jungle. It's so sad.

Anonymous said...

Woody, you will be missed, Keep us posted. MW

lena said...

Somehow I feel that public schools would only benefit from teachers with that kind of experience.. Kids are not that innocent anymore as they were 10-15-20 years ago.

Reminds me of one-liner: "Don't Hit Kids . . . No Seriously, they have guns now!"

Mona said...

It is a stress test indeed. At least it trains one in patience and effective administration. I agree that he would be a good school principal taming the little monsters( isn't that what they all are in the present day?)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words. You and the dirtman have influenced me more than you know. You are exceptional people (not just exceptional teachers). My new school is pretty good so far. Keep fighting the good fight with the midgets. And watch your back. I will miss you and your wit. Especially when you use it on people who are too dumb to know you are using it on them. You are right, I am in a better place now. Thank you guys for all you did to make me a better teacher and person. At least I can put my name on my posts now.
Thanks again--Woody

Anonymous said...

Good luck Woodman!I didn't think you would last this long with the drive and all.I hope the family is doing good.Did you ever ride your bike to work?LOL J.W

Whitenoise said...

Interesting situation, though not at all uncommon in any industry. Many hire in their own image and are challenged by those who might puncture their balloon.

Erik Donald France said...

Yes, good luck, Mr. Woodman, and to you, too, JR! It's all worthwhile; sounds almost snobby of the publics in their attitudes, and downright foolish.

Rick said...

I wish your friend well, JR. It shounds as though there's something seriously wrong with the system.