Saturday, July 18, 2009

THE SOBER TRUTH ABOUT TYLER & ZACHARY ON BICKERSTAFF STREET


















Management switched my route. No overtime. No allowances for strange dogs sniffing at my heels, slowing me down. I’m on Bickerstaff, a cul-de-sac, last street before lunch. It’s hotter than the Devil’s breath out here.

“Mister, you look thirsty.”

“Well I’m not.” This kid’s sitting with a younger boy at a card table. Crystal stemware flicker like diamonds above a handwritten sign: Drinks, $5. A cooler sits in the uncut grass.

He introduces himself as Tyler, says, “It’s for a good cause.” He tells me a sob story how his baby-brother Zachary broke Mom’s vase, how they’re raising money to replace it.

Mom obviously doesn’t know, or they’d be using Styrofoam or plastic. I cram letters in their mailbox and smile at Zachary.

“Daddy said Mommy’s a whore.”

“Pardon me?” I wasn’t sure I’d heard correctly.

“Zachary’s disturbed,” Tyler says.

“What,” I ask, “could you possibly be selling at that price?”

Tyler opens the cooler, pulls out a bottle of Merlot, starts pouring.

“You can’t serve alcohol. You’re minors. Where are your parents?”

“Dad’s gone,” Tyler says.

“And your mother?”

“She’s gone too!” Zachary shouts.

There’s definitely anger in his voice. I wave my cell phone, indicate “police.” Tyler pleads with me, gives me their aunt’s number. I call her instead.

“I’m their legal guardian,” she says.

I explain my predicament, the alcohol, my social obligation.

“Their father’s in prison,” she says, “for murder.”

“And the mother?”

“Are you kidding? She’s on the fireplace mantel.”


**Originally posted at Clarity of Night.

20 comments:

ivan@creaivewriting.ca said...

You really want a line-by-liner on this one, dontcha?

Well, you ain't gonna get it.

Hit me, says the masochist.

But the sadist says no.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Ivan, it is you who are as graceful as a swan.

Ryan said...

Hey JR,

Thanks for the post. I appreciate your praise. It's always nice to know I'm doing something right.

I read through a couple of your posts and you have a stark realism that is pretty cool. No doubt, your circumstances are unique, but they provide you with an image of American society most don't get to see. Especially today, that's something people need. It feels like too many people are falling through the cracks. So, to hear someone tell their stories is refreshing. For me, you inspire images of Cormac McCarthy but with less cowboy.

Anywho, thanks again for your post. I'll keep checking in on your blog for updates.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Excellent tale. You leave so many questions unanswered, though 'breaking mom's urn' was hilarious.

sylvia said...

You know I love this. :)

JR's Thumbprints said...

Leatherdykeuk,
I'm glad you laughed at that ending. I hope your laughter, at some point, made you feel uneasy.

rebecca said...

My initial response when I finished reading was, "Eh, is this non-fiction?" which left me with an uneasy feeling.

Then reading the comments I saw that it wasn't and let out a great big sigh of relief. Phew!

One word: Excellent

Rick said...

Sweet work, JR!

Celticspirit said...

Love the story! It says so much with just a few words.

JennyMac said...

Wow...this is great writing and I could really envision this... and terribly sad to think this is someone's experience.

Catvibe said...

You made my personal top 5. Congrats! ;-)

jodi said...

JR-I read and enjoyed this when you first suggested it. Good the second time around as well!

Charles Gramlich said...

I even read this one the first time around. Pretty damn good.

Dottie Camptown said...

You made my top 5, too. Great story.

Precie said...

Oh, yes, you're in my top 5 too. This is a story that sticks with me.

Hadley Stevens said...

I gauge a story by how long the characters linger in my mind. This one has definite staying power. A top pick for me, as well.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the read. Good luck. MW

David Cranmer said...

A damn fine story. Excellent.

Julie said...

I read this one before, but I'm pleased to read it again. I love it. Very powerful work. Excellent.

bluesugarpoet said...

Devilishly great tale - you left no stone unturned. Loved the many levels of irony!