Thursday, July 16, 2009

THE BROOM-CLOSET-OFFICE














When your boss sticks you in a broom-closet near the med-lines and tells you this is your new office, you do not argue. He is a doctor; You are nineteen. You need your job. But still, you are more deserving than a broom-closet.

Still, you perform your secretarial duties like before, back when you shared an office space with the other female coworkers. Now it’s different, you are alone. In a broom-closet. Near the med-lines. In a male prison.

When you begin your shift, an inmate shimmies your lock with a paperclip and steps into your broom-closet-office. He closes the door and thrusts a shank in your direction. You do what you’re trained to do—you holler for help and pull your PPD (Personal Protection Device). You do this at approximately the same time his fist connects with your face.

Luckily, the corrections officers respond and you are not hurt. Luckily, the maintenance workers did not act on the maintenance request your boss submitted—you know, to have your broom-closet-office re-keyed. I guess your boss didn’t think it would be necessary for the officers to have access to your broom-closet-office. Thankfully, the only deterrent keeping the officers from helping you was a paperclip. You are safe.

I mention these things, not to be funny. I say this because one of our employees could’ve been killed today.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey J.R I am glad everything is ok.
I just found out it was S.C's Niece and my trans buddy told me the convict is a real piece of shit.


J.G

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey, I could've used you the other day. Had an "RTP" inmate threaten me the other day. The C.O. told him to leave the building. I asked the C.O., "Did you here what he said to me?" The C.O. replied, "Yeah, 'I'm going to beat your motherfucking ass.'" No handcuffs, no segregation action. We miss you. The neighborhood's changed.

ShadowFalcon said...

jeepers creepers

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Yikes.

Been in that situation. But only by metaphor.
I had failed to do a journalistic puff job on a big car dealer in North Toronto for the North York mirror. They too sent me to a closet Gulag office for punishmnent.
But no physical danger.


BTW, I stole another picture from you from your site. I did not have a moody picture of me to match a story I now have up on blog...Since you look like a younger me, why not JR in a thoughtful pose?
Ah Barabas the thief. http://wwww.creativewriting.ca

Ivan

the walking man said...

So when is the state going to fire her and give her boss a raise? You know it was her fault...it's always the victims fault in Michigan.

How soon can we see this wonderful piece of shit back on the street? Next week?

Beth said...

When a boss in a prison is incapable of considering the consequences of such a move, things are scary indeed. I hope THAT boss has a boss and is taken to task for endangering the life of a worker.

jodi said...

J.R.-you petrify me. The innocents are most usually the victims.

Julie said...

This is mind blowing. I wonder what the authorities will do to the scum bag?

Anonymous said...

Which scumbag? The convict? Or the boss?

Anonymous said...

Hey JG, Hardship transfer back asap.Bona Fide New Haven School district GED Officer training bar none. SC niece should Duewee Cheetum and Howe Dr., Mental Health, MDOC, Personal- Warden and Deputy. 5 million minimum. She was punched twice in the face and threatened with shank. What training? Hope to see you soon. Nice recount JR. Egomaniacs and supposedly criminally insane, hard to tell the difference.
Eliminating 9 levels of MDOC Management might help. MW.

Whitenoise said...

Scary. I'm glad that she wasn't significantly hurt and hope that she receives some sort of compensation.

Lou said...

She was quick thinking. Put her in charge.

sylvia said...

Jesus.

rebecca said...

New to your blog by way of Clarity of Night. Thank you for the comment you left on my submission (#148).

An insider's view of prison life. Interesting. I will return. Now I'm wondering, is the subsequent post indeed real?

Anonymous said...

J.R. I'm glad you said it, but you make me nervous. Slim Shady we need you back. MW is right about the nine levels, start with the midgets and high pockets. The attitude of some of the levels are it could happen to anyone, that is just the way it goes, I feel sick. It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't expect they would say that. North Carolina is beautiful, 88 and sunny.