Wednesday, July 8, 2009

LOST & FOUND

















I threw out my high school diploma years ago; curbed it with the regular trash. I’m not sure why I had done this.

—Why did the ancient mariner shoot the albatross?
—Why not?
—Because it was there.

I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered a “Young Author’s Award” tucked between the pages of a book I’d read long ago (James Dickey). It’s those things that we don’t readily see that end up surviving. I won this award two years in a row, 6th and 7th grade, and attended a Young Writers’ Conference at Malow Junior High School. What did I write about? Beats me. What I do know is that thirty-five years later and I have yet to attend another writing conference. Most of my stories are workshopped amongst the felons I teach.

On a different note, when I showed this certificate to my brother, he recalled Principal Cunningham’s daughter. When we were both in college, he dated her for a short period of time. Her first name escapes us.

As for the second, fairly current document written on prisoner stationery, it’s the misplaced work of a delusional individual. This is part of a much larger work that he is trying to get published. I wonder how long it will take before he discovers that his masterpiece is incomplete. Perhaps the story is so disjointed that it shouldn’t take away from his brilliance. I will say this: most of his time and energy is devoted to his art.





5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

The prisoner work looks like the script for the new Transformers movie.

the walking man said...

Brother that was HARD to read. I am going to assume this guy was a DPS student at one time. His work should be published as a PSA warning to stay in school.

Chris Eldin said...

Thanks for your nice comment on my piece at Jason's blog!

Wow---I also threw out my high school diploma. Hmmm... Now I'm wondering what this signifies?
:-)

So nice to read a teacher encouraged your writing early on. Good teachers can leave a lasting impact.

Julie said...

Found poetry! Dang, I'm crazy enough to get inspired by his poem. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Even the handwriting is interesting. And there's got to be a poem in "Frinch braid a dollar size worth of hair" or "barbar shoes."

I'm like you. Diplomas went away somewhere. I was just (this very minute) griping to somebody about how damned expensive poetry conferences are. A friend tells me I've "got" to go to a certain one with her, so I can publicize my stuff. She plunks down a couple hundred bucks like it's nothing. That doesn't even include the motels, gas to get there, etc. I'm just jealous, I guess. Never been to one.

But I have done several workshops with truckers, bikers, waitresses, and farmers. I've never been to a prison one, but I love what your workshops inspire. Great post, JR. I'll try to stop babbling now:)

Erik Donald France said...

All cool. Can't even remember ever having a high school diploma, come to think of it. But the author award speaks volumes in life continuity.

You might very well like the Ludington conference -- they've brought it back for the fall.

The last item is wild, sort of science fiction maybe.