Wednesday, July 15, 2009

LETTER TO THE WHITE HOUSE













Dear President Obama:

When Air Force One flew over our prison the other day—we are a “no fly” zone by the way; had some kook in an ultra light waving to the prisoners—my immediate concerns were “how will I get home for dinner?” I had visions of secret service agents, men in black, shutting down I-94. I based my fears on a previous surprise visit by former President George W. Bush. He disrupted traffic for miles, for hours … and for what?—to purchase candy at Morley’s. My worries, at least this time, were unwarranted and purely selfish. I was hungry. I’m married. I have obligations. You understand.

But I digress. First, I’d like to thank you, Mr. President, for visiting Michigan and emphasizing how the unemployed autoworkers, the unemployed in general, need retraining. I wonder: Should those of us who are happily employed seek retraining as well?

If so, you needn’t worry about me. I’m like a chameleon. I can adapt to anything. For instance, when my work computer crapped out and promises of a new one went unfulfilled, I cabbaged a CPU from another area. When the Department of Information & Technology uninstalled the learning software on my student computers, I copied worksheets for them during my bathroom break. When my employer gave me furlough days, I crammed 80 hours worth of work into a 72-hour pay period.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I can do more with less … and less … and less … and less. Is that what is meant by retraining? Learning to do more of everything and getting less in return? Is this the new United States’ Work Equation?

Improved Skills + Bigger Work Load = Less Money

Thanks in advance. Sincerely,

JR the Prison Educator

8 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

More with less. sounds like the education mantra. We went through a serious period of this after Hurricane Katrina. Tiring is what it is. Just tiring.

ivan@creativeriting.ca said...

First you teach them how to write--if that's teachable. Then you tell them to send stuff out. It'll all get rejected. Then they will have to start a blog. Don't tell me there ain't no edjucation. And it's cheap.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Charles, It definitely is the education mantra. How do we get there? Hire more mid-level supervisors, that's how.

Ivan, I love the simplicity of your sujjestion. No better way to get an edjucation. One small problem: My students can't have access to the internet.

Lou said...

Wait till the people who run the post office (and the MDOC) are running health care.

the walking man said...

If you can do more with less than that means more people will have less opportunity for employment. That is the new world order to keep you in line.

Donnetta Lee said...

Chewing over your words of wisdom! Impressive thoughts, as usual, JR. D

jodi said...

Hey J.R, I too wondered how the traffic would effect me, being so near Selfridge. I too, have had to learn t adapt.

Julie said...

Good one, JR. Now I'm actually glad I grew up poor. I know how to make do.