Tuesday, November 18, 2008

SIMON SAYS














I’m not singing George Michael. I don’t have faith, faith, faith. There’s no glitch in my circuitry. It was a simple request. I knew fairly well how it would work. “Mr. White,” I said, “I’m giving you a direct order to sit down.” He’d been digging trenches in my carpet for ten minutes now—a true poster child for ADHD.

“You can’t tell me what to do,” he replied. He stopped pacing. Yet he stood there, fidgeting in place. He raised his voice, wanting everyone to hear what he had to say, which, in my opinion was a whole lot of nothing. “You can’t treat me like I’m some little kid.”

I upped the ante. “Mr. White, I’m giving you a direct order to stay seated until class ends.” I knew this task would be impossible; if he would’ve done what I’d told him in the first place, then I would’ve cut him some slack.

He stood his ground, ready to test me. “What’re you getting mad for?”

I held firm. “I want you seated, Mr. White.”

“You can forget it. Ain’t gonna happen.”

After seventeen years of these types of scenarios, of developing my “playbook,” it still amazes me how each young inmate thinks he’s going to make a name for himself, and at my expense nonetheless. “Okay Mr. White,” I continued. “Now I’m giving you a direct order to leave my classroom.”

“Look everybody, he’s getting upset ‘cause he can’t get his waaaay.”

I repeated myself.

“What’s your problem?” he asked.

It was time for my last maneuver. “Everyone,” I announced, “in the hallway.” My students dropped whatever they were doing and filed out of the classroom. As for Mr. White, anyone with little kids could figure out his next plan of attack—He. Sat. Down. What to do? What to do? Doesn’t really matter to me. I get paid by the hour.

It wasn’t long and Mr. White joined his peers. I guess he thought he could blend in, make himself invisible. Not much of a plan. I locked my classroom door and summoned an officer.

Mr. White, I’m sorry to report, is no longer a student of mine. Like so many others before him, he’s been replaced. I’m just wondering how long until the next youngster makes his move.

11 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

Good you knew what to do! If your lot are anything like mine, I'd guess you had another two days or so -- right?

I had one girl refuse to move from her seat after being asked repeatedly. I had to give her a talking-to -- something I hate doing -- but weirdly enough, we were great buddies after that. She still doesn't listen to me all the time, but the situation is vastly improved.

the walking man said...

Even what seems like an extraordinary scene to an outsider is plotted and scripted to be replayed on the endless loop. *Sigh* may the next twelve pass in better ways than that which precedes it Jim.

Charles Gramlich said...

Let's see, during my afternoon class yesterday I had 4 students who just got up and walked out at various points in the lecture. Despite the fact that I was going over information that will be the essay question on the next test.

Anonymous said...

I hope someone is covering your back
like the old days!!!!

Ruth W. said...

It seems you have had a lot of practice doing this!! Good job, keep it up.

Erik Donald France said...

"What to do? What to do? Doesn’t really matter to me. I get paid by the hour."

This cracked me up ;->

JR's Thumbprints said...

Charles, I can only imagine that those students who walked out are STILL a helluvalot smarter than my students.

Erik, If I cared, then my students would perceive me as weak.

TWM, There will be more of the same, even after I retire.

Mary, I guess it doesn't matter what country your in, students love to test authority figures.

Ruth, I just might self-publish my playbook and sell it to all those teacher colleges.

jodi said...

Don't let 'em see ya sweat, jr. I know I would be sweatin' bullets. I hate controversy of any sort.

eric1313 said...

that's the bs attitude that got him in there in the first place. The root of it.

Nobody likes being told what to do, but all he had to do was remain seated and you would not have had to say anything out of the ordinary to him period.

Whitenoise said...

I don't know where you find the patience, Jim. That, and dealing with confrontation, which I hate. I admire your skills.

Lana Gramlich said...

There are some professions where you have to do/say the same things over & over & over again. Yours is one of them, unfortunately. I had to do it at a convenience store years ago. I left before I started choking people to death. My sympathies, hon. At least you've got back up.