Thursday, November 20, 2008

Austin Combs



I’m not too sure how this goes, whether my wife volunteered my services or whether Angie, our neighbor and good friend, mentioned it. It doesn’t matter; the details that night aren’t as important as the tribute to a talented musician. What I do know is Angie brought over a VHS tape of her father, who had passed away unexpectedly, and she needed it digitized for his funeral.

I’d done this type of work before, scanned photos of my father-in-law at various stages of his life, spliced in some family video footage, and added piano music. It helped with those awkward moments at the funeral home where everyone tries to engage in conversation without coming off as—how do I put it?—unsympathetic. The project before me that night was relatively easy: download several songs by A.C. and the Kentucky Fox Band; create a menu with chapters, and render and burn a DVD.

I didn’t attend Austin Combs’s funeral. Yet, I’ve come to know him as a free-spirit who lives on in the memories of his family, especially his grandchildren. From what I’ve heard, they’ve become particularly fond of his song, “Damn, the TV’s GONE,” an autobiographical account about a man’s propensity to smash television sets when he comes home, however, on this particular night, as the grandchildren might say, Grandma hid it from him.

I hope you enjoy it, and if you have time, check out the other songs.

7 comments:

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Dunno.

I'm thinking of the very first line of Camus' Outsider.

It'll pass.

Charles Gramlich said...

THat's actually kind of catchy. I could drink to that.

Donnetta Lee said...

I'm smiling at Ivan and Charles' comments. Guess I'd better go back and listen now. Nice to see ya, JR. D

eric1313 said...

Got a cold shot right here.

And you have the music.

A plan can be born any second.

Anonymous said...

"Damn the TV's Gone" by AC Combs & The Kentucky Fox Band, was a runaway #1 country hit in 1980. It starts out with the line, "I got the funny feeling I don't live here anymore, When I saw my clothes sittin outside the front door." AC goes on to explain that he's not upset about the wife leaving, but "Damn. The TV's Gone."

The song stayed top 5 on the country stations that summer and received two years of regular air play. All of the 7000+ copies manufactured sold out, and then the bootlegs started surfacing in Florida and Kentucky.

“Damn The TV’s Gone” was again released in Spring of 2007 with the 2006 rock version, backed with the original cut by AC & The Kentucky Fox Band on seven-inch vinyl. The rock cut was also released as part of the Detroit Music compilation by the Next Step Ventures label, at the same time.

AC will be missed by his family and the music industry as well.

Anonymous said...

Ya really put it together JR.
Nice Job. MW

Whitenoise said...

Nice work.