Sunday, November 23, 2008

POLISHING APPLES














When an automobile is shrink-wrapped and you’re not
in on the joke (no time with a half-hour lunch),
it’s okay, because the owner supports the UAW.

It’s in the purchase;
It comes from word of mouth:
Tell so-and-so to tell so-and-so to tell so-and-so
that they can attend their local union meeting
as long as they ask for permission first.


You’re not immune; you’re not a straw boss;
you’re not a snoopervisor; they don’t need to beg
they’re hand fed and led by the navigator

of the sealed-tight vehicle, the one with
the passengers who’ve rolled down their windows
& finger-punched holes through cellophane
gasping and peering down a desolate highway.

So you highjack the steering wheel and crash
through a white picket fence, into an orchard,
your hands deflecting flying bark and York Imperial fastballs.

It’s called a U-Pick, which U-Do, placing the forbidden
fruit on the jokester’s desk to help fight his addiction
& keep him busy, polishing apples, polishing apples …
until they shine blood red, until the blue ink dries,
before the Chief Union Steward mouths his pre-ordained speech.

11 comments:

the walking man said...

Nothing worse then a sell out chief steward on a job, there's a better place for the apples than on his desk.

Whitenoise said...

Interesting. I think I understand the intent, but I am not in on the joke about a joke. Still, the style is captivating.

ivan@creativewwriting.ca said...

Yeah, I can hear the grunts wanting to know, "What's the joke, what's the f*ckng joke?"

You are the joke. You are creative.
And if no one else publishes this fine poem, I will.

Charles Gramlich said...

Damn! That one rocked. Not sure I get it all but I can feel the words like razors.

Celticspirit said...

Very *interesting*. I think there is a lot more to your writing than what is on the surface.

eric1313 said...

Hey, being shrink wrapped is a lot better than the old union tradition of the "blanket party". People always wanted in on it, but no one ever wanted to be the guest of honor, since bruised and broken skin is far worse on a person than an apple.

Gotta say, in regards to this poem... I do like them apples.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Can't wait for the next installment. MW

jodi said...

Cool imagery, I THINK I get it.

JR's Thumbprints said...

What is this? Such cruelty!!! When I click on Ivan's link I get all sorts of advertisements for Creative Writing Schools. Oh the misery! Oh the sadness! I'll pout myself silly in a terry cloth robe!

eric1313 said...

Ivan's link gets messed up at a lot of places, but it works through my blog currently.

The other night, Ivan had to log on and go to Josie's blog just to get to his own blog!

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

I think we're back on air now.

Who said Microsoft was such a good idea?