Sunday, November 30, 2008

AT THE END OF NARDONE STREET



I’m no Richard Attenburrough, or Leonard Nemoy, or James Earl Jones, but it only seems fitting that I try my hand—I mean “voice”—at narration. I’ve been organizing my childhood photos for a Christmas DVD that I intend to give to my grandmothers.

Please feel free to comment. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I already know that a better microphone is needed; Reading from under a heavy comforter, sheltering my voice from the steady hum of the computer, seems downright silly.

Also, I plan on sharing an email correspondence I had with Bonnie Jo Campbell, author of Women and Other Animals, and Q Road, regarding her soon to be released short story collection American Salvage.

Peace.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,
This is a cool good old video with us cracking the mound of dirt! Too bad we don't have the actual footage of us jumping the grand canyon! Yeah, wasn't Town Club pop the big hit back then. Too bad they never survived. I liked the narration as well. Keep up the good work!! --Bro, Ron

ivan@creaivewriting.ca said...

Durn.

My audio is gone.

I remember from the last video that you had a Detroit accent. Who knew?...I'll urge Jo to view it...She'll tell us all about it.

Ruth W. said...

...a pleasant voice indeed.

Anonymous said...

There's evil eyes lookin' back at us; they're in the trees. What kind of subliminal message are you trying to send?

Lana Gramlich said...

I think you did a wonderful job of narration & I thoroughly enjoyed the true story. Well done.
I consider teaching a mode of public speaking--after all, you have to get up in front of a roomful of people (in your case, in particular, more hostile than most, I'm sure,) & do your thing. I think that helps with the process. Charles is good at such things, as well (although he probably wouldn't admit it.)

Charles Gramlich said...

I thought you did very well. But I was sort of hoping for some narration like: And then the aliens attacked and set fire to the neighbors down the street. Or, and then the lion, lying in wait for her prey, leaped upon the corner drug dealer and bore him howling away to be fed upon.

Oh well, I guess if it has to be realistic!

Dr.John said...

I'm sure your grandparents will love it.

the walking man said...

Is that a Schwinn? Every Detroit kids first rocketmobile.

Anonymous said...

Very creative. Lot's of opportunity with that media. MW