Friday, May 26, 2006

DISMANTLING THE WALL

Today I received a rejection email from Mr. Randall Brown of Smoke Long Quarterly, an internet journal that publishes flash fiction (smokelong.com). I was informed that they accept roughly 4% of the submissions sent to them. He encouraged me to "send more work." This is my third rejection from SLQ. I'll keep trying. The way I look at it, I'm increasing my chances of getting noticed.

This holiday weekend I am devoting my time and energy to a short story called "Conte Du Jour." Therefore, I will leave you with a snail-mail rejection letter from my office wall:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog. Keep it going
MW

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,
Love the letter. My latest rejection said I was "too harsh -- partly approach, partly material." I'm all about being too harsh. To quote Larry Brown (the writer, not the coach) --if you keep knocking, they have to let you in!

Wichita-Lineman said...

Is this what I have to look forward to when I finally buy the Writers Market book I've been putting off getting since March.