Wednesday, May 10, 2006

CATS & DREAMS


Huh? What? God I blogged for the very first time and now I'm feeling kind of froggy. So where do I begin? Here I am at last year's Good Old Boy's Catfish Tournament in Bayport, Michigan. Don't know much about blogging liabilities -- so there I sit -- all alone! I can't wait for this year's tournament which is in June. My dad informed me that some of our beloved tournament members turned up missing on Lake Huron two weeks ago. Their boat was found: no men, empty gas tank, and a dead battery. Tragic news. I lost my granddad to Lake Huron when I was a child. Coming home from a bar he drove his car off a dock and drowned.

From Corktown Press (The Furnace): I was asked to define vagary. What is it? A vagrant performing an indecent act? An angry bum with a vague sense of social injustice? Or is it the victim: "I've been vagarized?" All my life (I'm now 40ish, matured at 28, married at 29) I've wondered if I've made the right choices. Think Chaos Theory: We're all just particles moving through space, sometimes colliding into one another. Blogging???

Is time linear? First dimension: Length. Second dimension: Area. Third dimension: Volume. Fourth dimension: Time. How do we measure time? Is there a starting point (birth), middle (where I'm probably at now), and an end (beyond?).

When I quit engineering school, how did my actions affect me? Others? I'm often asked by prisoners, "Why would you teach here?" My response: "When I was little, my parents would ask me, 'What do you want to be when you grow up?' and I'd answer, 'I want to teach convicted felons for the Michigan Department of Corrections -- that's my dream!'"

Chaos Theory again: the flapping wings of a single butterfly can affect the weather.

I looked up the definition of vagary -- a flight of fancy. Think of that butterfly.

4 comments:

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,
I LOVE this post! You're great. This is the perfect introduction. Can't wait to read more.

Cheri said...

ahhh welcome to the world of blogging Jim! =D

Erik Donald France said...

Very cool, Jim. Looks great!

Donsie said...

Well Well Well And here it begins... I must make time to work through your blogg!!!!