Friday, May 22, 2009

SOME THINGS NEVER LEAVE YOU


















Across the street, where the ditch was filled, my neighbor waters his seeded lawn. I look downward, into the new culvert. “Water table must be high.”

He says, “Yes,” notices the run-off, and moves his garden hose to another spot. “Summer’s finally here. You got any plans?”

“No. Not really,” I answer. He’s a civilian worker, an electrician at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. I ask, “How ‘bout you?”

“No. I’m looking forward to retirement in a few years.”

I don’t speak to my neighbors that often—opting to keep my distance with a friendly wave. Our conversation seems strained. I’ve been meaning to ask him about someone. I figure now is as good a time as any. “Do you know a guy named H?”

I have his attention. He says, “He worked for me. Good worker too.” He turns off the nozzle on the garden hose. “I never knew he was that way. We had a complaint from a female worker claiming that he was stalking her, but nothing really came of it.”

I tell him that yeah, he’s a good worker, tutored for me, helped the other inmates with their school work. “Whatever he did,” I add, “must’ve been extremely violent.”

My neighbor knows more about it than I do. “He raped his niece while on vacation up north. Never saw him again.”

Our conversation doesn’t last much longer. He goes back to watering his grass, and I return to my property. We’re minding our own business, like good neighbors do.

Rick Michael, my union rep, speaks out regarding the early release of Michigan prisoners.

12 comments:

the walking man said...

And when I put some 00 shot into the guys face as he comes into my house because the state didn't give him employment or the means to sustain himself will they give me early release so I can kill the next one who tries?

Beth said...

Public safety is their top priority??
No, cutting costs is.
What Rick Michael says rings true. I would be worried – very worried.

(BTW – $1.00 CAD = .8926 USD. More bang for your buck here. Want to invest?)

Beth said...

Sorry! ;)

Catvibe said...

Oh man, bad news...

Charles Gramlich said...

It's scary what lurks in the hearts of some around us.

Lou said...

Came from Walking Man, and I read back a few posts.

My son is in a Michigan prison. He is a non violent, drug addict, can't complete parole 25 year old. You have seen hundreds (thousands) like him. They need rehab, counseling, job skills, yadda, yadda. They get jail, prison, parole, and he has been on that merry go round for about 7 years.

I appreciate that you have a balanced (from what I've read) view here. I have read correction officer's blogs that call inmates oxygen wasters, etc.
Some prisoners are, some aren't, much like the rest of humanity.

The video does what is intended. Scare people about early release. There will definitely be those released that will violate others, but I think that has always happened. It's a judgment call in many cases, and the people who have to make the judgment are much like you and me.

Don't get me wrong, I do not excuse my son. But the taxpayers of Michigan would be better served if they paid for him to be in a Delancey Street or Dawn Farms situation, but it ain't going to happen. Bottom line, as you know, it is up to him.

I hope you don't mind if I follow your blog. In my experience with Michigan's judicial and penal system I have found most people really want to do the right thing, and you appear to be no exception.

jodi said...

J.R. I've read that good fences make good neighbors, however, I love my neighbors. On one side there is a huge vegetable garden and George keeps me supplied with fresh ones. My neighbor Shirley bakes like a maniac and gives me delicious treats. My other friend always has time for a cold one, AND she tolerates Mickey!

Julie said...

I always think of the same words when I read one of your pieces. Powerful. Excellent writing. I also think how most people, even those of us who aren't on the inside of the system, can relate to what you write. This one was equally as good, and it will stay with me a long time.

As for the video, I just don't understand why some violent offenders walk free to do it again. There are probably many non-violent people who can turn their lives around with help. I've met some of them. But I'll never understand why child molesters, rapists or murderers walk free.

I wish they would use common sense instead of politics in deciding these releases, but there's a lot about the process that I don't know. Thanks again for the information and great read.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Should be an amnesty for people in jail for drug use.Certainly soft drugs. Milddleclass kids in jail for nothing; it's a shuck. Even Arnold knows it, but he has taken no action.
Give them treatment options.

David Cranmer said...

The song Neighbours by The Stones jumps to mind for some reason.

...... Bobbi said...

Sometimes society can suck. You would think as long as humans have been on this earth, we'd all learn to get along - but there is always going to be a criminal element to wreck lives for the rest of us.

Lana Gramlich said...

Sometimes it's better NOT to know things. My aunt dished out some inter-family info once that changed EVERYTHING for me. As if it hadn't been bad enough before then...