Sunday, May 24, 2009

MORE ...

Yesterday morning, after one sip of hazelnut coffee, I unfurled the Detroit Free Press and read the front-page headline: Freed Felons, How Safe Are We? The article did not surprise me, nor did I question its objectivity. But I immediately grew suspicious because of the accompanying photograph. Why is it that all of a sudden journalists and photographers have easy access inside Michigan’s prisons? What happened to the media ban? Not that I ever agreed with a media ban.

Perhaps it was lifted a long time ago. Perhaps after Dr. Kevorkian, aka Dr. Death, was credited with time served and let go. Perhaps the Michigan Department of Corrections was forced to lift the ban after all those complaints from female prisoners. I’m not always on top of the latest news or policies - that’s for sure. For instance, one time a corrections officer questioned me regarding my multipurpose pocketknife. “The blade’s under two-inches,” I said, proud of myself for knowing the criteria. Unfortunately the policy had changed to “absolutely no knife of any kind.”

The intent for carrying a pocketknife had nothing to do with protection, and I certainly wasn’t going to loan it to an inmate. Once in awhile I’d unfold the mini-scissors to cut paper. As for yesterday’s article, I’m not sure of its intent. Inform the public? I guess so. Scare folks? Maybe.

One last thing: the photograph’s setting, if I were to take an educated guess, is in one of my old classrooms at Ryan Correctional Facility, Detroit. Which classroom I’m not sure—I taught in four different areas after various critical incidences, two of which I’ll never forget: the escape of ten inmates and the sexual assault on a female teacher. These are just added facts and not meant to sway public opinion. I’m certainly not saving any money through my words and actions.

10 comments:

Catvibe said...

Nice pic there JR. I don't know what to think about the media ban or not ban. And if they are going to release prisoners, I hope it for non-important offences like possession of marijuana or some other stupid non-violent thing. I shudder to think of violent prisoners being released. Yikes!

Whitenoise said...

Yes, scary. I still don't know how you manage to survive in that environment. You're a better man than me...

Charles Gramlich said...

The media seems to believe it's main job is to scare people.

jodi said...

J.R.-Petrifying! Is there a site or something where we can be informed with releasees pics or any add'l info?

the walking man said...

This release program is being done for budget right?

So can anyone tell me why Texas spends less than 17k per year to feed and house prisoners and Michigan spends 33K?

The powers that be tell us that these ex-felons have been through an eight week program to ease them back into the world. How to find housing, some job acquisition skills, some will be tethered to a GPS and blah blah blah...

What they fail to say is there are no jobs for these folks. So how are they going to use their new eight week learned re-entry skills?


Sex offenders registry
http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/

Offender Tracking System (OTIS)
http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2.html

bluesugarpoet said...

Hmmm...did they show that picture of you? Were you supposed to be the example of a scary felon? At least you are smiling. lol

David Cranmer said...

I agree with Charles. Just look at how the media jumped on swine flu. You would have sworn half the world's population was going to kick the bucket.

Lou said...

Walking Man nailed it..I lived in Huntsville, Texas, home of the famed (infamous) Huntsville State Prison. Every day I saw those prisoners out working (under strict supervison of course). They mowed public grass, picked up trash, cleaned rest stops, etc. The Texas Prison system is almost self supporting--I read they only buy coffee and sugar from outside vendors.

Michigan is so entrenched, it seems nothing will ever change for the better.

Anonymous said...

The sad thing is that the Michigan Prison System was self supporting in the early 1970's. They had farms for cattle, chickens, and dairy. The inmates were taught skills like butchering, producing milk and cheese, cooking, and canning...Because of an escape and murder, the private sector had the farms shut down to promote their own self intrests. Which has Michigan prisons now buying almost everything from the private sector. Enjoyed the story. MW

ivan@Lcreativewriting.ca said...

Oh dang it all, Jim.
You didn't make the cover of the Rolling Stone, but this is a perk for you,serious as the subject is.
So out of all the prison crap and crud splurts a grudging flower. It ain't the cover of the Rolling Stone, but your face all over the Detroit Free Press should should be some antidote for the blues.

Same thing happened to me some years ago when I made the front page of the local ERA paper as a writer and a political hired gun.
Make it whichever way you can.