Sunday, January 25, 2009

SLUGS AND BLEEDS














I wish it were that simple—slugs and bleeds—a primitive solution to an aggravating circumstance called: Adobe InDesign Digital Layout. The introductory college course consists of one instructor “in the business,” a room full of graphic design students (including a few emos), and me, a convict teacher who once supervised an inmate newspaper.

You wanna talk graphic design? My layout man could work a thumbtack like there was no tomorrow (like he had all-day) cutting and pasting articles, pictures, cartoons, captions, you name it; his work exceeded my expectations. Nobody messed with the layout man—unless you wanted to be “laid out.”

Slugs and Bleeds.

I’m attending a class for six hours every Saturday morning. So far, two class sessions down, more torture on the way. “I retained about 30% of what you said,” I told the instructor.

While the others were perfecting their gutter space, their columns, their font-size, I was busy trying to learn the Apple icons, the shortcut keys, and the software menus. Not an easy task: taking notes, clicking here, clicking there, studying the barely visible screen up front for in-depth guidance.

While the others were busy organizing their assignment, putting the finishing touches on their project, I sat, my hands intertwined on the top of my head. A wounded slug. My way of saying, “Hey you, instructor lady, instructor-in-the-business, could you slow down, I’m not sure what I’m suppose to be doing.”

When class ended (forty minutes early), I waited for the instructor to approach. I told her my problem. I thought she’d help. Instead, she powered down my machine. I guess it’s the last step that counts. She informed me of their computer lab hours.

Hey, look on the bright side, I could’ve taken a harder course.

17 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Doesn't sound exactly like you're getting your money's worth.

Catvibe said...

It doesn't sound like fun JR. But just keep persevering, you will get it! Maybe I will too...sigh, ah what it must be like to have a left brain... ;-)

Beth said...

And to look at an even brighter side, you're up for the challenge of taking such a course! Best of luck.

jodi said...

JR, I once took a college computer class and lasted two classes before dropping. All that tech was too tedious and took all the fun out of it.

Lana Gramlich said...

Wow...that freaking sucks. That kind of stuff frustrates me to no end.

the walking man said...

I have absolutely no idea what the class is about Jim, but I sure as hell know what

"...trying to learn the Apple icons, the shortcut keys, and the software menus. Not an easy task: taking notes, clicking here, clicking there, studying the barely visible screen up front for in-depth guidance."

is about.

Lena said...

sounds like for your money you could have got some more attention.
anyways good luck with the challenge. Once you win this challenge, you will be proud of yourself!

The Preacherman said...

Life was so much simpler before computers.

Carrier pigeons were nice.

Celticspirit said...

It's really a shame that your teacher is not more supportive. After all what are teachers there for?
Just don't let yourself get too frustrated and stay positive. I don't know what else to tell you.

Have a wonderful day.

patterns of ink said...

Reminds me of the six years when my high school teaching schedule included yearbook and school newspaper. (Pre-Adobe. I used Aldus PageMaker) Great learning experience, but it was before everything went digital. I'm afraid I'd be lost if I stepped back in a journalism class now.

Kate S said...

Gee, I'm sorry. That woman is no teacher. Sheesh. Heck, you know that. No need for me to tell you.

I don't get why people automatically assume they know how to be teachers and trainers just because they know the subject matter. It really doesn't work that way. It takes skill and art, and it sound like she's missing some of both. :(

Hope it comes together for you.

Erik Donald France said...

Brutal. But you're sitll getting good stuff of it, obviously.

I had to teach Tech Writing several times. It's much better all around in a lab. Imagine trying to learn (or teach) such things in a regular classroom, with a single laptop . . .

And in all seriousness, the teacher should help out after "group class" is done, no question. That's where "RateYourProfessor" comes in, I guess . . .

Dr.John said...

Is this one of those have to take courses to keep your accreditation up?
I slept through those.

Donnetta Lee said...

Hubby and I took a computer course together once. Oh, Lord. Never again. I don't know who was worse: the teacher or hubby. I sort of did my own thing and just got through it! (And then there was the time we took scuba diving lessons together...but that was another story.) D

Catvibe said...

JR, I have a proposal for you, but you'll have to write to me via email to find out what it is. Hint: It's technical & fun.

ceedy said...

Hehehe

Have you heard the comedy bit by Lewsi Black...where he says

You know the reason I turned out to be a comedian instead of an economist or money manager....

cause the classes were early in the morning....who in the world will want to go with a blood shot eye to a class that early....

so the question to the prof was - are you really interested in teaching us or keeping all this a big secret....

bluesugarpoet said...

Oh, snap. You got "powered down"? Why didn't I think of that long ago?? I need to put one of those power buttons on each of my students and simply "power down" when they are naughty or otherwise disruptive.

sorry you got powered down, man!