Monday, January 19, 2009

MY FAVORITE FLASHES









It probably costs you nothing to write a short story but I find that it costs me as many false starts--and therefore failures--as does a long one. Mark Twain

To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement. Samuel Clemens


Here are my favorite entries (in no particular order) from Jason Evan’s “Ascension” Short Story Contest (keep in mind that I have no money):


Son Games Mother by Catherine Vibert

A Balanced Life by Wayne Scheer

Up is Fine by Victor Bravo Monchego, Jr.

Static Ellen by Dottie Camptown

The Yes Man by J. Scott Ellis


Lastly, in my opinion (for what it’s worth and not much) my personal favorite:

So What if She Has No Feet? by Linda Courtland.

I couldn’t help myself on that last one. Hey, everyone’s a winner for participating.

15 comments:

Catvibe said...

Wow. Thank you, what a wonderful honor!

JR's Thumbprints said...

It'll be interesting to see if any of my picks make the cut. I think a majority of them will.

Lena said...

awww.. not a single of my favourites on your list :D
But The Yes Man was on the list for consideration :)
Though the choice was too tough to be made!

Scott said...

JR,

First, congrats on your 2nd place finish. Jason is very particular and skilled in his dissection of a piece, and you have really done something to place with all that competition. Great job on a well deserved finish.

Thanks for promoting my piece. I am very pleased to have placed in the readers choice category.

And Lena, I'm glad that you liked mine!

The Preacherman said...

There wasn't one I didn't like. Some more than others of course but I can't say I read a 'dud' anywhere.

Congrats mate and here's to the next one!

Well pleased a few of my favs made both lists including yours ;-)

Catvibe said...

A big congrats on your placement JR, well deserved!

Beth said...

Wait, I think it's over. I'm heading over!

Beth said...

When does it end? I didn't want to head over until I was sure I wouldn't get the desire to enter. I just don't have time to read every single entry this time around, but there are about ten I must see!

Aniket said...

Congratulations on your win JR... I'm sure you were on everyone's list.... including mine! And totally agree with Preacherman... Not one story that I've read till now was a dud... every single one was splendid in their own way! "I am paying attention" to all the tips Jason is giving now! :)Wishing you success in whatever you write next... We all expect great heights from you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats JR on your placement.
MW :) and to all of the other writers who participated. Enjoyed the reads.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'll have to check these out. Some good reading ahead of me.

the walking man said...

Jim just saw your success...congratulations...your year man!

Sam said...

Short stories are devilish hard to write - and these are all superb! Congrats!

ghee said...

Congratulations again,JR!

and all of the entries were all great!i gotta be back to read them all again...right now,i gotta hit the sack...

good night...

ghee

jodi said...

Congrats to you, J.R. Props with a bow!