Friday, August 29, 2008

DANCIN' BABY EEL














I caught this bass on a Dancin’ Baby Eel and after studying the picture, a revelation hit me: I’ve never truly written much about fishing technique. Where’s the hook, the line, the sinker? Where’s the discussion about bait?

We had our school audit this week (bare with me, there’s a common thread here, trust me, you should, you really really should). Let’s start with a recap:

While Auditor #1 pulled every 10th student file in our school office, Auditor #2 stood in my classroom grilling me: “Why weren’t you at mandatory training last week?”

“Zero-point-nine,” I answered, a reference to the dismal amount of CEUs (Continuing Education Credits) teachers could earn for the two-day conference.

“Maybe you misunderstood me, the training was MANDATORY,” she said, as if I were brain dead, as if 0.9 were my blood alcohol level. “Why weren’t you there?”

I politely told her to discuss this matter with my boss.

She moved on, “I’d like to see how you keep track of each student’s progress?”

I showed her absolutely nothing, instead, I vocalized my dissatisfaction with MDIT (Michigan Department of Information Technology). “My computer crapped out on June 10, 2008,” I explained—as if she’d understand my deficiency in tracking student progress—“DIT never replaced my hard drive.”

“You are submitting the appropriate reports to the school office, aren’t you?” She asked.

I didn’t have the heart to tell her about my new hard-drive storage system; I answered with a confident “YES.”

After the auditors left, our boss called a staff meeting. “We did excellent,” she said. “We only had two student evaluations missing from all the files that were pulled.”

I couldn’t help myself. Since I was the senior teacher, the undesignated “mentor,” I asked for clarification as to which students had missing paper work. She indicated the students of the less experienced teachers.

“That’s not too bad,” I added as consolation.

A veteran teacher shot me an incredulous look; He knew why the auditors never found the missing information on my students. Whatever work I couldn’t finish prior to the audit, I simply pulled the appropriate files and stuck them in my filing cabinet. Call it my new “hard-drive storage system.”

Now back to that Dancin’ Baby Eel …

11 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

To paraphrase a Monty Python character, "who are you who are so wise in the ways of auditors?"

Lana Gramlich said...

What the hell do they expect, when you're not supplied w/the equipment req'd to do your job? @#$%ing bureaucracy! Nice fish, though!

Ruth W. said...

Oh, the best part is that you get by with it!!!!!. I love it.

Ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

er...Watch your "HARD DRIVE", Jim.

I am told women get frustrated by husbands who fish too much.

...I don't know. I just read it somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Correct me if I'm wrong but there seems to be a significant correlation between you and that "dancing baby eel."
MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

MW, I am a senior member on the teaching staff. I have the most seniority of anyone. I gave a certain individual "veteran teacher" status when he shot me a look ... and, uhhh, yeah, that dancin' baby eel's gotta dance. I may have stepped in shit, but the auditors smelled roses.

the walking man said...

You anarchist you...ha ha ha ha ha ha well done!!!

Erik Donald France said...

Genius. Worthy of The Red Kommissar, certainly.

Or is it the dancing baby Kafka?

Jessica said...

I love fishing! This post made me wanna go again soon! Cool photo.

Anonymous said...

Ivan. I heard that Vodka also impacts the "Hard Drive" Na?
MW

Jo said...

A workman is only as good as his tools. It's easy to tell you work in a bureaucracy.

Nice fish. :-)