Monday, August 11, 2008

MDIT WARNING


The Michigan Department of Information Technology (MDIT) is warning all state agencies not to open e-mail related to “CNN” or “The Beijing Olympics.” These e-mails ask for a “flash player” update and once given permission, download a malicious virus that will kill your computer. MDIT claims they’re dispatching technicians across the state to fix infected computers. They suggest calling their 800 number for assistance.

Maybe I should give them a ring. “My computer is infected,” I could lie, “can you send someone over here pronto?” What do I have to lose? I’ve been waiting two months for MDIT to fix my machine. Not that it’s a real emergency. I only use it for class attendance, student plotters, student evaluations, Adult Learning Plans, monthly reports (including the latest and greatest Offender Education Tracking System & boilerplate forms), TABE scores, half-test scores, GED scores, testing schedules, academic payroll, tutor payroll, and the occasional memo. None of this, you see, is top priority.

I’ve been cancelling classes too, wandering around like a nomad in search of a functional computer to keep pace with my job duties. My students are losing out on classroom instruction. Not that that matters either. With the constant “transfers” and “ride-ins,” our facility is a revolving door of human bodies. As long as enrollment stays at 20 per class, as long as my computer is fixed in time for our August 28th school audit, as long as my records are in order, then the Talking Heads will be content. That is—if I don’t say the wrong thing. Last time we had an audit, I informed the auditors that we had an academic teacher who never had a teaching certificate. Ouch!!!

In this photograph I’m sporting a 1996 Summer Olympic neck tie from Atlanta, Georgia. A former prison librarian gave it to me after the death of her ex-husband. As for her—she lost her job for doing some X-Rated activities with an inmate. Now they’re safely married. He’s doing his bit, while she’s working security at the Flint airport.

7 comments:

the walking man said...

What Jim? No pocket protector?

I have a friend with 16 years on the other side of the bars as you. He got out a few years ago but that revolving door thing was certainly him in a nutshell. He'd start a class in anger management or something else then WHAM! Transferred to another institution. I can remember 7 of them but I believe there were more.

I think that was part of the reason he flopped on his parole so often, never able to finish the court required classes.

Thanks for the heads up on the virus. That is always good to know. Maybe if you wandered over to Lansing and used Jenny's computer, they'd get yours fixed.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Most MDIT Technicians dread coming to the prison. If I see one of these computer gurus, they're usually on the other side of the fence in the administration building.

Beth said...

Interesting. I've been receiving a lot of junk mail with CNN in the subject heading.
And my computer is also acting up. (Not related to the above - I don't open that junk). Wish some agency would offer to "fix" mine - a little white lie would be tempting.

Whitenoise said...

It's frustrating when you don't have the proper tools for your job. Maybe you could ask one of your students to "lift" one from the warden's office...

(err... sorry) ;-)

Michelle's Spell said...

Great picture, Jim! Hope you get the computer help soon!

Lana Gramlich said...

I'd definitely lie if I were you. If it may be the only way to get your computer problem(s) addressed, lie.

Erik Donald France said...

They *should* issue you a top quality laptop. Who is your lobbyist? (Ha!!!!!!!)

Yes, I've seen some of those nasty torjan horses. Gmail seems to catch them as spam, though.

I remember that particular story you allude to near the end. Again: ha!

Atlanta -- seems like yesterday, the year before moving to Detroit from Virginia . . .

Good luck!