Monday, August 4, 2008

THIS OLD HEAD



Lately, due to my so-called uncooperative work spirit, I’ve been labeled an “Old Head,” which, if misconstrued, reeks of ageism. My boss says (as if I’m out of earshot), “The Old Heads won’t do it”—a reference to a modified work schedule.




I am here to say, “I am not an Old Head.” That is, unless you mean someone with work experience, someone who has been around the block, who has seen pit-near everything, who knows what does and does not make sense. For instance: I’ve been approached regarding a 2-day educational conference in Lansing. Since I need 18 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) to renew my teaching certificate, I asked, “How many CEU’s will I earn?”

After my question got kicked up the ladder (Lansing) and back down to the bottom rung (me), I received the following emailed response: We are, at this point based on the hours for both days a teacher can get .9 CEU’s. They will have to fill out a form and submit $10 as the department will not pay the processing fee. They will be able to sign up in the morning when they register. It is all or nothing, we cannot do a one day CEU amount, they must attend both days. (No corrections made to email.)

Hmmm… call it negativity if you will, but I will call it practical. Ten dollars is reasonable. No problem there. However, at this rate I’d have to attend 20 2-day conferences—the equivalent of 40 days of shutting down my classroom—in order to renew my teaching certificate. How absurd is that? What ever happened to 1 CEU meaning 1 hour of training or at least something remotely close?

Once again, this “Old Head” will refuse to do something that doesn’t make sense. Hopefully this will not lead to further name-calling, and if it does, I might have to fight back. I might have to call the powers that be, “Talking Heads.” Yippity-yap-yap-yap.

11 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

.9??? That's freaking ridiculous!

Jo said...

Okay, that's just insane.

Insane!

My mother used to say, "You can't put an old head on young shoulders," and she meant it as a compliment.

patterns of ink said...

JRT,
I do find this sort of thing very frustrating. I hate "change for the sake of change" and ignoring why people with experience do things the way they do them. As for CEU's... doesn't it seem like the whole thing is a racket to keep universities and "workshop" organizers busy. Good workshops and grad classes are fine, but I've sat through some real yawners that serve no practical purpose--except satisfying Lansing.

the walking man said...

I laughed loud and long at the picture when taken in the context of the text.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

I find myself becoming more pragmatic with each passing minute. Why waste time when it's really the only valuable thing? Especially to a writer! I like being an old head. I never did being young all that well anyway.

jason evans said...

Man, that whole thing is ridiculous. Old head????

Charles Gramlich said...

Hum, now, you didn't expect 'em to make sense did you? You're an old enough head to know better.

Erik Donald France said...

Old Heads unite!

If you haven't seen it, you'd like seeing the bureaucratic inanities depicted in Generation Kill. The enlisted Marines in it are fast becoming "Old Heads in Spirit and Understanding."

Good luck getting your Head Renewed by the fractional credit hour!

Anonymous said...

I think it would be better to call them "talkin punkin heads" (tph) since that's what they mostly resemble. Just a thought.
MW

Donsie said...

I agree on the ridiculous part... maybe they don't know what they are talking about...

eric1313 said...

With all the security cameras and whatnot in that joint (and I use that term as loose or tight as a reader wants to see it), you could quite possibly have a decent retirement lawsuit.

Hope all has been well other than this shenanigans on part of the headhunters around you.

Take it easy.