Saturday, October 13, 2007

SOMEONE GETS AN OSCAR

My classroom, with its elongated rectangular ironclad windows, has a panoramic view of the prison yard, where, at this time of year, if you peer beyond the convicts kibitzing and beyond the razor-wired double fences and the gun-towers, you will see a few innocent deer high-tailing it through an open field. Whether bow-hunters have inadvertently pushed the deer out of the nearby woods, I’ll never know; The hunters, I’m guessing, would want to stay a reasonable distance from our compound. But this isn’t about venison or the two-legged beasts standing at a wooden octagon-shaped picnic table, high-fiving one another over dominoes.

Hunters at deer camp? You ask.

Nope. Convicts.

Nor is it about the flag football game taking place near the 220-track. Tackling isn’t allowed, yet everyone gets bruised and muddied. I was going for the flag, the guilty party always explains.

Yesterday, I heard about bomb sniffing dogs frantically zigzagging the corridors and classrooms of my alma mater. Someone had called in a threat the day of their homecoming game. Although inexcusable, perhaps that someone was from the opposing team.

Whatever happened to those harmless pranks, like opening the high school exit doors so a few students wearing dark-visored helmets could navigate their dirt bikes through the busy hallways? At least afterward, when tongues were loosened, the culprits were nabbed and did their penitence. No prison time. Just a good old fashioned three-day suspension and an increase in popularity.

In the above picture, I, my date, and Grouchy (he certainly has been around) enjoyed our 1980 High School Homecoming Dance.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, Wow. You're bringing back old memories. I also heard yesterday about our high school having a bomb threat and police surrounded the building. I remember the dirt bikes flying through the HS during my senior year. Also, great photo of you and your date at the Homecoming Dance! Hey, those prisoners better watch out from the flying arrows going around. They just might get hit!!! --Bro, Ron

Beth said...

A false bomb threat is so inappropriate these days. Cruel.

On a cheerier note, you were so cute back in 1980! (Or should I say handsome?)

Michelle's Spell said...

That's a fantastic picture. And yes, the school violence is getting scary. As for Grouchy, damn, he has been around!

heiresschild said...

beautiful pic of you and your prom date. isn't it fun to look back over pictures and reminisce?

when my daughter was in her junior year of high school, they had bomb scares weekly where the school had to be evacuated, and sometimes the students were sent home or just left. my home became the hang-out.

Whitenoise said...

After Oklahoma City, Columbine, 911 and other incidents, western civilization has become far too jumpy for harmless pranks.

It's a shame, but I don't think we'll ever get our innocence back, this is a new age.

Interesting blog, BTW. I can remember visiting here a few months back, will pop in again.

cheers

Erik Donald France said...

Wow, great shot. 1980, one of the last great years (i.e. before Reagan ;)

"Razor-wire" is such a cool compound, btw. The real thing is not exactly cool, but still . . .

As for relatively harmless school pranks, they still sometimes work as in other times, but it's dicey.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the read. I am within earshot of my highschool. I enjoy the band which can be heard at all
sports games, and I understand that Chaldeans are now the primary minorority paying taxes and enjoying the safety of the Warren Consolidated School System. Thank you democracy. However, I understand that the Honda Corporation is opening a plant in Greeensburg, Indiana paying workers 14.00 dollars an hour., and restricting within a 50
mile area those who can apply for jobs. Greensburg, Indiana is 96% white. Just a note for that fasciast corporation. Since the atom bomb has obviously affected your memory. I and my coleagues will not be buying Hondas. Ford looks awful good, and will be my next purchase. Thanks for sharing
JR. Brought back many memories. MW

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

You say "innocent" deer, but how do you know how innocent those deer are? Hunh?

JR's Thumbprints said...

P.K., aka The Laughorist, point well taken; however, compared to everything else I've witnessed from that window, please allow me to assign "innocence" to something.

Jo said...

JR, what a cute picture. We used to get up to all sorts of pranks in high school, and most of the time the teachers laughed along with us, (after disciplining us). Everyone has gotten too darned serious these days. Look at that poor woman who was handcuffed, manhandled and tasered because she had a nervous breakdown in an airport.

Memo to self: never have a nervous breakdown in an airport. There is no humor or kindness anymore.

Cute picture, BTW. And Geewits will be happy - you're smiling!

eric1313 said...

I had a grouchie just like that in 1980!

Of course, I was four at the time.

That's too bad about kids and this whole "crying wolf" thing. The little *$@hole will get some severe punishment for it, too.

Good title--for the pic and the kid who engineered the prank. Nice work.

geewits said...

What a high school hottie, and although I vowed not to mention it again, I can see that you DID once know how to smile!

the walking man said...

Let's see, don't play dominoes, never ,been in prison, never shot an animal with my bow,never pranked in HS and, never went to a prom. Yep you finally wrote something I have absolutely no relation to. Well Done!

peace

TWM

Anonymous said...

Amen Ford!!!