Thursday, October 18, 2007

LET ME CHANGE THE TITLE
















Not too long ago I was encouraged to apply for a teaching position with Montcalm Community College. They had acquired grant money for a Youthful Offender Program (YOP) and were attempting to infiltrate the Michigan Prison System. The warden at my current facility pooh-poohed the idea. Not that it mattered; other facilities were interested.

In an effort to discourage over familiarity with inmates, Montcalm, under MDOC advisement, was allowed to hire prison educators for YOP night classes, if, and only if, the facility differed from the teacher’s regular gig. In other words, after eight hours of teaching GED classes at one prison, I could pull up stakes, drive to another prison (Ryan Correctional Facility), and put on my college hat.

No thanks. Even though thirty-three smackaroos an hour is very enticing.

On a similar note, in Wednesday’s Detroit Free Press I saw a picture of my old classroom (Ryan Correctional Facility, 1992 – 1997) jam packed with college students and prisoners. According to the article, they were discussing race, class, and gender in the criminal justice system. The University of Michigan-Dearborn, through Comerica and private donors, paid for the inmate’s course materials, including textbooks, while the free-birds paid for the whole enchilada.

Hmmm … now the wheels are turning. In order to renew my teaching certificate, which expires in 2011, I need 6 credit hours. Perhaps I could enroll in this class. Do you think I could handle the course work? Do you think the Michigan Department of Education will allow it? And what about the Michigan Department of Corrections? They wouldn’t block me from such an important task as the renewal of a very important credential—or would they? Besides, I think I can beat an inmate out of his books.

Isn’t it interesting how I went from convict teacher to college instructor to college student to classroom bully in no time at all, how I went from making $33 an hour to paying for the privilege to hustle an inmate? Hmmm … decisions, decisions.

10 comments:

eric1313 said...

The system is a reflection of those who run it. You just happen to get caught between the teeth of the gears.

I hope they won't block you from doing what you have to do.

Lord knows the MI government has done stupider things in the past.

Ruth W. said...

Oh JR, isn't it fun working with a
stupid system?? I'm feeling your frustration, believe me!!!

Leslie: said...

Gawd, I'm laughing here. Bureaucracy!

geewits said...

I'm really starting to worry about you. No wonder your dog looks so sad!

Charles Gramlich said...

Hey, can you convince them that you're taking an online class by reading and commenting on blogs? That ought to be good for at least 3 credits.

Cheri said...

Well, I'm unemployed again so shit, I think I'd take the job haha. Too bad I don't have a degree!

Erik Donald France said...

Choices -- always choices ;)

the walking man said...

You know if you took the gig as a teacher (Professor thumbprint) you could write off the mileage between the two jobs and all course related materials ,right down to whatever writing instruments you had to use to do the job, including laundering your second set of clothes because of course you wouldn't want to be all funky from teaching inmates who had no interest in getting their GED until the day before their parole to teaching youthful offenders who would be scared of a bad ass real prison teacher.

But then I am sure the 6 credits are important too and you would be ab;e to write off all necessary materials for that too because it is a state requirement,

either way it sounds like a win win to me.

Peace

TWM

ivan@ceativewriting.ca said...

Don't do it.

They did it to me, asking to teach Continuing Education (night classes) along with my regular day schedule.

Suddenly I was in trimester on my days and still doing the night thing.

Talk about a wigged-out english teacher!
there was hardly time to drink!

Ivan

Anonymous said...

Jim, This does sound like a "WIN WIN" situation!! Go for it! --Bro, Ron