Saturday, December 27, 2008

THE LOW SPARK OF HIGH-HEELED BOYS














I guess to an outsider just getting “in”—the prison environment is a peculiar beast. There’s that recognized potential for danger, that heightened sense of awareness much like crossing a busy four-lane highway during rush hour; There can never be enough caution, enough looking both ways, and after years of dealing with convicted felons, that caution becomes in varying degrees part of a repertoire, a skill set, and some times a way to stave off boredom.

I don’t exactly see the logic in hiring someone right before the holidays except maybe to beat a state hiring freeze or to make someone’s Christmas extra special. I’ve observed a certain anxiousness, a certain “I’m ready to start my classes, I’m ready to make a career out of this,” and my advice (because I’ve seen it over and over again) never wavers: Take it one day at a time. There’s no hurry. These guys aren’t going anywhere.

I’m not sure sitting in a classroom observing your peers—especially when they have a combined two years of Correctional experience—is much help; I know there’s no irreparable harm in it, these guys have something to offer. They're definitely doing much better than I did as a rookie. Also, what better way to get answers to your questions than from someone who just survived their first year? No one wants a long-winded answer from an old-timer. I’ll be brief. I promise. When I started with the department, the mindset was different; it was sink or swim, Here’s your keys. Don’t lose them.

Now we have a mentoring program (something I believe has been started statewide). I’m not convinced that this new fangled idea is the cure-all either. Maybe my opinion is somewhat skewed. And why shouldn’t it be? I wasn’t asked to participate. It’s probably for the best. Our new employee already thinks I’m a bit touched, a bit crazy, as if I’ve been playing in traffic for far too long. I’m afraid he’s probably right.

10 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

These guys aren't going anywhere. Sounds rather philosophical. I wonder if that applies to me.

the walking man said...

Just because you've adapted to a crazy situation doesn't mean you're touched. Playing in traffic...seems to be a part of the job.

Anonymous said...

I went crazy in the nuthouse.--R.P. McMurphy

Steve Winwood said...

I'm back in the high life again.

jodi said...

I remember when Clarice visited Hannibel for the first time. I thought that walking that short hallway was more terrifying than the actual encounter with Hannibel. Prisoners comfortable with the system will always be scarier for those of us living on the outside.

Donnetta Lee said...

Disconcerting place, that. Reminds us of our own personal prisons, I imagine. You've probably learned more than you know! About them and about yourself. D

Danny Tagalog said...

Time to enjoy 'The Prisoner' box set, if you haven't already...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prisoner-Patrick-McGoohan/dp/B00004U8MR

Erik Donald France said...

On point. Even in "non-prison" mentoring settings, I wonder.

I was an informal mentor for Trent Vanegas, calling things like I saw them (which must have sounded terribly cynical at first). He no longer teaches, and I can't blame him.

Maybe sink or swim works just as well.

Whitenoise said...

As a training captain, the system I'm in is a more formalized mentoring program. But, after all of the words of advice, I'm still the weird old guy. At some point I stopped wondering if I was setting a positive or a negative example...You show the new guy that it's possible to live within the system. Maybe that's enough.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Happy New year, Jim.