Tuesday, December 30, 2008

LET'S HOPE FOR A BETTER YEAR














I’m closing out 2008 with two unedited comments from The Copenhaver Risk Factor. Keep in mind that I have no real way of knowing the true identity of each person, but I suspect they are who they say they are. Also, due to their emotional involvement, my sarcasm may have went undetected. Let’s hope 2009 is a much better year for all of us and that I can continue writing without reprimand.

Ryan's Sister said...
Hello Mr."Know's not a damn thing that he is talking about"....I am Ryan's Older sister, and you don't know what you are talking about...First of all this is the first time Ryan has been in trouble, Ryan was never a bad kid or a bad adult, he made a mistake. And unfortunetly it had caused someone to die, and another passenger to get his leg broken, and Ryan also got hurt too. Ryan did his time, and he got out on parole, and yes he was in his friend's parent's house, with a toy gun that he knew nothing about. Ryan worked 2 jobs, he never had anytime for anyone, he worked his butt off to pay his fines, and he had them paid 6 months out on parole..The state of Michigan gave Ryan his License back while he was on parole and he called his parole officer to ask if he was allowed to drive, she had told him "No, not until he was off of parole." What everyone fails to bring up in the entire matter, is that there was no reason for them to search his residence. The only reason they did, was because at the time of the Super bowl and the Michigan department of corrections was doing surprise visits to every person who is on parole....So this is why Ryan got searched, they found 2 toy guns that were not even in his place of living, they were stored in a closet that was not even occupied by Ryan....Ryan would never hold up a liquor store, or rob a store, making that assumption is ridiculous seeing that you don't know Ryan and that you are just assuming this about every prisoner. How would you like it if someone started saying things that you would never do? I just think that maybe you should know who you are talking about. Ryan never did anything wrong on Parole. This was just something that they found and they shoved this too him, and they should've let him go, Ryan has a lawyer and he is doing everything that he is supposed to do. Ryan is a statistic, and I think that this is unfortunate that there are so many people in prison, for things that aren't even horrible and violent offenses, and these are the one's that the state should release early and focus on the one's who are violent offenders...I will be more than happy to defend my brother, and I am open for discussion on this...Erica


Jennifer Gifford said...
I too know Ryan, and the Copenhavers. Ryan was a good kid, never got into trouble. The fact is, he made a mistake and he paid for it. He is still paying for it, and he will pay for it with the rest of his life. He doesn't need some whinny holier than though individual with a skewed glimpse of the case to remind him, he has a conscience for that.

You missed the HUGE article in the Oakland Press about him, and how the system-from paroles, FIA, social services-are antiquated and in desperate need of a rehaul.

You are one of the sad individuals who like to pass judge and jury on everything that anyone does. Tell him, when did you become God? Isn't the point of going to prison to rehabilitate? I wonder what you'd say about Nathaniel Abhraham who blantantly gunned down an unarmed man, wore a pimp suit to his hearing, got out and violated his parole?

You have a limited grasp of how the system works other than what you read in the paper. Question the sources before you form an opinion.

I am by no means saying that what Ryan did, or anyone in his shoes did, is wrong. But he admitted his guilt, and is his doing his time. He's asked for forgiveness to the family of the man who was killed, and it was granted.

Tragedies happen in life. Ryan himself has even said, (and im paraphrasing), 'I will live with that for the rest of my life. It's on my conscience, no one else's.'

Perhaps your a friend of the victim or his family, and if you are, I am sorry. Loss of life, ANY LIFE, is regrettable. But to punish someone over and over again, what does that say about you? Society?

Perhaps instead of pointing out the problem, maybe try being a part of the solution. Volunteer to be a safe driver on New Year's for MADD.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

People who kill other people should pay with their lives. I don't give a rat's ass how sorry they are. That will definitely
cure the over crowding in Michigan's prisons. Learn from the Texans. ....Ye. Haaa.

the walking man said...

Jim...I remembered the incident and the post but went back to read it again. I may have missed something...that you were NOT defending the parole system in the case of Copenhaver is very evident.

The ANON above me is responsible for death simply by the use of his tax dollars in Iraq. So by that logic he too should be put to death.

Have a good year Jim and get out from underneath that Lion's blanket.

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with TWM. I thought you did a good job of showing how "archaic" the parole system is. As far as the Lions go... Please Ford family sell the team!!! Anon. Ride em cowboy and smoke em if you have um. MW :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Family members often feel somewhat different about these kinds of issues than more objective viewers. That's to be expected. I don't know enough about the story in details to make an informed comment.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Ode to the insensitive, I guess.
Oh MADD, poor MADD.
Something's hung you up and I'm feeling so sad.

From legitimate concern for drunken drivers on the road to pure power tripping and attempt at social control!
Every action engenders an opposite reaction.
With MADD's power tripping and attempt at social engineeering, I am almost tempted to have three beers and drive 'er as a political statement.
Humbug
Crappy new year.

Rick said...

Happy New Year, JR.

I vaguely remember the incident in question, but I will never forget your willingness to publish other people's opinions even when they are critical. You're a good example for the rest of us.

Take care and have a productive New Year.

Akasha Savage said...

Happy New Year and Happy writing in 2009. :)

Lana Gramlich said...

I don't know enough to comment on this, either, but I did want to pop by to apologize for my long absence. I've been busy with offline life. Best to you & yours in 2009, JR! Happy New Year. :)

Danny Tagalog said...

Your sarcasm was quite clear, although I can well imagine that emotions prevented a clear viewing.

Thanks for the dose of real life; hope something can be done to make the parole system more humane (though I aint holding my breath).

patterns of ink said...

Enjoyed getting caught up here this morning.

Other than these comments in the post and the Lions "perfect season," I hope you are having a happy start to the New Year!

Erik Donald France said...

Good Lord. Write on, man, full speed ahead . . .

Once you've recovered . . .

Happy '009. Now if we can just make it in relative safely until Obama takes the nation's helm . . .