Friday, December 19, 2008

AN ANNUAL LEAVE SNOW DAY

















When you’re a correctional educator swishing corn flakes out of your braces with a shot of coffee while perusing all those school closings on the television, you know for a fact you’re wasting your time.

During the last big blizzard I drove through a foot of snow, punched in for work, and received the following greeting from a deputy warden: “You don’t have to stay. We’re not opening the school building.” Well golly-gee, a phone call would’ve been nice; unfortunately, that would mean giving me administrative leave and that ain’t gonna happen.

Most prisons are built near a county line; no one wants felons in their back yard or vegetable garden (unless perhaps you're interested in doing a character study). On that particular day, the next county over declared a snow emergency; All state employees working in that county (approximately a half-mile down the road) were told to stay home. But not us. Only two educators showed up that day and as luck would have it the other one was the Food Tech Teacher. He fixed me an omelet, hash browns, toast, and coffee. Afterwards, I went to my classroom and organized my files, sharpened my pencils, etc. etc. etc. Easy money. I did my eight and hit the gate.

As for today, I intended to drive to work, but the Voice of Reason told me not to. It didn’t take her long to convince me that it just wasn’t worth the risk. So I loosened my tie and I called the prison control center declaring today a SNOW DAY. I sympathize with all those hard working corrections officers mandated to work overtime. Some of them will work 16 hours straight dealing with Michigan’s finest. I wish them well.

Today’s picture: A childhood photo of my brother and I celebrating a snow day with the neighbor kids.

12 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I see you had to trump my "snow day" tale. With real serious snow. humpfh!

Celticspirit said...

Hey that was pretty cool that the Food Tech teacher cooked you breakfast. So what classes do you teach and how did you get into this kind of work?

Anonymous said...

Snow forts,,,Snow fights,,, enjoyed the read MW :)

Erik Donald France said...

There's no doubt that adults enjoy snow days more than anyone else, and free adults especially.

Good for you. The breakfast sounds damned good, only add slow cooked grits as a side ;->

the walking man said...

Grits are nasty. {:-(}

Jenny would like you to rethink your decision to declare a snow day. How did not driving to work in 12" of snow help the states deficit? You do know that the new gas tax failed and by not using more gas you have caused a hit to the budget and personally have cause less road repair to happen. Now you will be expected to form a chain gang and go out and do the work after class.

JR's Thumbprints said...

But TWM, you know oh too well about accidents and health insurance costs. While you view the glass half-empty, I see it half-full. I'm saving our fair state money by not risking life and limb. Still, you're a funny man.

Celticspirit, I teach ABE/GED Classes, mainly in mathematics.

jodi said...

JR, use H20 to rinse those braces or your gonna have STAINED straight teeth. In Ossineke, my nephews are already out of the snow days that they have built into their school system. Poor kids will be in school til July! You have the BEST photos of your childhood!!!

Jo said...

A few years ago my daughter was working as a speech therapist in a school about 20 miles from her home. She had to drive to school to sign in that she would not be working that day because it was a snow day.

And then she had to drive home again. It took the whole day to get there and back...

Cloudia said...

Glad I found your blog - or I should say: that YOU found MINE ;-)
I find your career and your point of view compelling. I'll be back!
Aloha, JR.

eric1313 said...

I always loved a good snow day. Omelets sound great right about now...

It's freezing out here! Probably there as well, I imagine. Got about 14 inches of snow here in Lansing in the last 2 fays, and the winds are enough to take roofs off of houses--or at least they sound that way.

Have a great holiday season and see you in the new year.

Whitenoise said...

Surprisingly, we haven't had many snowdays this year considering the weather. Stay warm and dry!

Lana Gramlich said...

Nice photo. :) It's about time the common man take "sn*w day" into their own hands! POWER TO THE PEOPLE!