Wednesday, April 30, 2008

LIFE IS PAIN














When I think of baseball, I envision my brother’s childhood friend, Craig, sprinting for a deep fly ball, his choppy strides tearing up the freshly mown grass, his outstretched arms reaching toward the sun. I hear the dueling voices, “I got it, I got it, I got it!” and I see the sudden melding of uniforms and ball caps in centerfield. This is the last inning, the last out, depending on the catch.

After the collision, the centerfielder shakes off the cobwebs and rises; Craig, on the other hand, writhes in pain, as if he’s convulsing. Still, the ball is tightly secured in his mitt, the game is over. But Craig isn’t getting up.

I’m not sure where Craig is today, what type of career he chose, or if he raised a family, but if it weren’t for the quick actions of his coach, if it wasn’t for the corkscrew in his gym bag, Craig probably would have died on that field.

“I opened his mouth,” the coach told us in P.E. Class, “and couldn’t believe it, he’d swallowed his tongue.”

No one questioned the coach’s instrument of choice; it didn’t seem to matter. What mattered was prying a kid’s tongue out of his throat.

I look back on the significance of that corkscrew, its purpose, its everyday use, and suddenly my Coach-Hero, my P.E. instructor, is transformed into some kind of wino—a nobody, uncorking a bottle of red to ease his own pain. I shouldn’t be so cynical. I shouldn’t. Seventeen years of working in a prison will do that to you.

I can’t ignore the stats either. We have a former major league pitcher at our facility serving time for his seventh DUI. According to the local paper, after the police arrested him, his blood alcohol level registered a .48. Most people would be dead with that much poison in their system. I’d like to ask him about the game of baseball and the use of a corkscrew. He’d probably tell me it’s for re-lacing an old glove or scraping mud off dirty cleats. I know better. I see the aftermath of that game every single day.

12 comments:

patterns of ink said...

Hey, JR,
I had somehow bookmarked a "dead-end" link to your blog and have gotten far behind in reading here. Glad you're back. Sorry to say that so late.
Good stuff. "Write when you can't"... good advice!

the walking man said...

Jim,
A touch of poignancy with your reality check? what a fine short piece of writing and the a great thing the way draw from the past seamlessly to the present.

I don't think of you as cynical as much as practical JR, it is good,

Peace

mark

Erik Donald France said...

Brutally well-written. . .

Charles Gramlich said...

7th DUI. Damn, this boy needs some help, or a beating one.

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lary_Sorensen

Anonymous said...

http://www.thestar.com/article/301455

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Yes.
I agree with Eric Donald France.

Well writtten, and makes me think of my own gaffes at the field, though my tongue then was bated rather than swallowed.

Broke more fingers, though, as a fielder.

Took up the guitar.

Cracked my spine in a rock'n'roll band.

Donnetta Lee said...

Very nicely put, JR. I have relatives who are overly familiar with the corkscrew. They seem to consistently come up with an excuse for having it around. I think to myself, "yeah, right."
Donnetta

Whitenoise said...

Glad to see you back.

Speaking of BAC, my parents were hit head on 9 days ago by a driver who was at .230. They were both hospitalized (my dad still is) and he jumped out of his wreck without a scratch.

Donnetta Lee said...

Very well written, JR. Sad.
Donnetta

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

What a great detail, that corkscrew. The swallowing the tongue is great as well. Beautiful piece of writing.

Johnny Yen said...

.48? Good god-- when I was in college in the early/mid eighties, they had those 25 cent BAC machines in the bars. We used to see how far we could run them up. One St. Pat's day, after drinking all day, the best I could do is .22. He must have really worked at it.

An old friend got a DUI, and quit drinking. I think that one of the reasons was that he ended up in DUI classes with people who were on their third and fourth DUI, and trying to avoid prison time.