Wednesday, May 14, 2008

DOGFISH














Once upon a time—Isn’t that how we begin things? We start out full of hope, full of potential, only to realize most of us are full of shit—once upon a time (repetition may help ease the pain) . . . once upon a time I was a rising star in the Michigan Department of Corrections. Call it the inside scoop to career advancement. Instead of seizing the opportunity, instead of saying, “Yeah, I’m your next school principal,” I transferred. A lateral move. For less money. So here I am—a veteran teacher, stuck in a classroom, my roster of rapists, murderers, drug dealers, thieves … you name it. And I’m perfectly comfortable in that environment.

Last week I represented my facility at the Michigan Adult Education & Training Conference at the Grand Traverse Resort & Spa in Traverse City. While sitting in the lobby, surrounded by cold marble with a fake fire crackling nearby, an acquaintance, a MDOC school principal, asked, “So … do you have a view of the bay or the golf course?” She must’ve been staying on site with all the other administrators.

I replied, “I have a wonderful view from my room.”

She waited for more details, her entourage of DLEG people, Department of Labor & Economic Growth, aka Michigan Works, whom I’d already informed that Michigan ain’t working, ignoring me.

“My room,” I continued, “has a lovely view of Sam’s Club and Cracker Barrel.” I told her I was twelve miles inland. I told her about the construction workers in front of the hotel drinking their six packs of beer before checking in for the night.

She questioned my choice of lodging. I explained that the state’s travel agency recommended I stay there. She shook her head, as if to say, You know better than to follow the state’s guidelines, there are ways around the sixty-five dollar per diem.

I knew I didn’t fit in with this crowd. I didn’t rub elbows with anyone; I didn’t hob-knob with all the right people. Instead, I took a back seat to their ambitions, their presentations. They said we, as educators, are changing Michigan’s landscape, that we can help others during this time of economic turbulence.

I wasn’t buying it. If this were a bass-fishing tournament, I’m sure they’d thumb their nose at the six-pound dogfish I had to offer. I kept my mouth shut.

12 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I was once a rising star as well, went to chairperson in two years, got interviewed for a director job and turned it down, could have been acting dean but I hid my head. Thank God. I couldn't have stood the bullshit I'd have been required to dish, and eat.

Ruth W. said...

Good for you JR, us non-climbers must stick together. I have always liked to say what I think, and you can't climb no ladder with that attitude.

Whitenoise said...

Yeah, I was a golden boy once, too. Until I testified against one of their flight managers in a wrongful dimissal case. Got the guy his job back but sacked my career ambitions. Oh well, at least I have my self-respect.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Well, I was once head of the Creative Writing Department.

How many in the department? One.

Jo said...

And just how long did all of you stay in your rooms to enjoy the view/non-view? How long did anyone actually look at the view?

I detest status seekers. They're usually full of bullsh*t. Be true to yourself.

That's quite a fish you have there!

the walking man said...

"a veteran teacher, stuck in a classroom, my roster of rapists, murderers, drug dealers, thieves … you name it. And I’m perfectly comfortable in that environment."

And I am perfectly comfortable with the ones you discharge from your classroom JR.

You are just Detroit bad son. You have no place in upper mgt. Until you skip all the bullshit and run the whole department.

Peace

Beth said...

Despite the lousy view from your hotel room, you're much better off staying true to yourself.

Erik Donald France said...

Brilliant, Jim ;->

(Joy Division theme music)

And Zen-like. The Peter Principle recommends *not* advancing as a lifesaving (soul-saving?) measure.

Cheers, dude!

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Funny thing about the Peter Principle. The book was very heavily edited by Ray Hull, and meant as a kind of jest. Certainly by Professor Peter. It took Ray Hull to produce the final draft of the book.

Professor Lauren Peter was incompetent?
Or wise enougn to stay at his level of competence?

Hey.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Ivan,
You mean to say there's different levels of competence? This is way too deep for me. I'm having a difficult enough time filling out the forms for my travel reimbursement.

Donnetta Lee said...

JR, you sound so much like me! I've had my opportunities in my day, too. Some, I took and was sorry. Others, I just said "no." I just don't like the "crap."
Donnetta

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

Glad to see you're alive, kicking and cranky as ever! (I mean that in a good way!) Keep fighting the good fight, man.