Monday, April 21, 2008

BRIDGES














A homeless man—not that I actually have the scoop on his situation (it’s much nicer than calling him a bum)—asks me, “Would you like to buy my Ugly Stick? I’ll sell it to you real cheap.”

“No thanks,” I reply. “I don’t have my wallet on me.”

I’ve heard about break-ins at the nearby marinas. As I continue along my journey, I imagine tackle-boxes and other expensive fishing equipment stolen by homeless bums leaving their shrink-wrapped lodging for shelter under the freeway. They do this while Michigan’s boaters revel in the morning sun, peeling off plastic, filling their tanks, and leaving the canals for a day of Coppertone, beer, and windburn.

But I get ahead of myself. As I walk my dog past the undercover cop reading the newspaper from a parked vehicle on our street, I remind myself that no matter how safe we try to be, we are all potential victims of crime. My wife refuses to take my favorite route under the bridges, so today, like most days, I walk alone. In no time at all I see the latest graffiti, the prophylactics, a few articles of clothing, the empty bottles of Robitussin, and one overturned plastic worm container.

This place has tremendous appeal. For the homeless searching for a place to rest. For teens experimenting with sex and drugs. For anglers dreaming of that record fish. I take this route as often as I can. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because it’s filled with hope and despair. I sit down. I let the man snap my picture. He smiles more than I. His teeth need work. So do mine. He hands my camera back.

7 comments:

Donnetta Lee said...

Hi there, JR: Nice work here. On my way to and from work, there is a bridge with homeless people living there. I usually see the same faces every day. One guy has a big red dog. That dog looks totally faithful, too. I hear they can earn $30,000 a year or more by standing on that corner with the hand held out. Maybe I'm in the wrong business.
Donnetta

the walking man said...

Damn Jim this one really stole a piece of me and put it under the bridge with the rest of the cast off trash.

A very strong read in it's subtlety. Thank you.

Peace

TWM

Erik Donald France said...

Good beans, Wellington. Always the Robitussin.

p.s. Have you seen any of The Wire? This could be Baltimore, and Baltimore could be Detroit.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Reminds me of local Mike "Bottleman," with his grocery cart of cans and bottles and bags full too, whom I've come to know and love. Those who don't know him demonize and fear him.

Michelle's Spell said...

Beautiful post, Jim! I'm glad you're back. I love the picture as well.

Jo said...

We have bridges like that here in Vancouver as well. Usually the homeless folks are there with their shopping carts. They're usually harmless. Harmless homeless.

Gosh, Bailey has grown, hey?

Charles Gramlich said...

Perhaps the risk is a bit of the appeal?