Tuesday, April 15, 2008

MY FIRST READ INTERNET NOVEL















I've been asked more times than I’d care to count: What criteria do you use in deciding where to send your stories? Is there a method to your madness? Or do you use the wet-toilet-paper-approach, tossing malleable wads onto high ceilings in hopes of something sticking? Seems somewhat juvenile, somewhat aimless. Better to have a plan, a target, a something. I’m not certain what I have, or what approach I use, although I will say this: I’m not willing to pay to publish.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve already paid a price … in time, in frustration, in anger, in loneliness, in heartbreak, in _____, _____, and _____ (please feel free to fill in the blanks with all the afflictions currently available to middle-aged hacks such as myself).

I read a book review in the local paper this weekend announcing the debut novel of a young writer in my very own stomping ground. I didn’t oooh and aaah. Instead, I investigated her publishing history. What did I find? Not much. A fancy website. A poorly written excerpt from her book. Xlibris … such a dirty, dirty word … (the name of a self-publishing company). They chased after my money once. Why not? I’d gotten slighted in a writing contest with an honorable mention.

I received an email from George Dila, author of the impressive short story collection The End of the World. Here’s what he had to say about his latest publishing experience (or lack thereof): A couple of years ago I finished a novel called ‘The Big Bang Theory’ (before the bad sitcom of the same name). Following its completion, I spent a year or so looking for an agent to represent the novel (an ugly process at best, which I could discuss at length). Got a few nibbles, but no offers. Then I spent another year or so sending the ms out to independent publishers who don’t require agency representation. Got a few more nibbles, but ultimately, no luck there, either.

Not once did Dila sound bitter in his explanation. Instead, he offers us the fruits of his labor absolutely free on his no-frills website. I’ve read The Big Bang Theory (my first experience with an internet-based novel). I couldn’t put it d… I mean … I couldn’t stop scrolling and clicking until the very end.

The story’s main character, Lawrence Lesinski, a down and out carpet salesman, tries to leave his boyhood hometown with a tidy sum of money when a small time cop with a thumb size nose pulls him over and hands him a piece of paper. This leads Lawrence, aka Lucky, to a 60-something blind clairvoyant named Winnie Bussle, ten years his senior. Through a series of events, he discovers the fate of his childhood acquaintances (twins Kenny and Karen Kleeber), the murder of their father, the presumed accident of his younger brother Mel at Mongo Brick, and the mysterious disappearance of his high school teacher Riley Harrison. The backdrop for this story is Thompsonburg, a place where turkey vultures roost.

Most chapters start with the history of Thompsonburg, its townsfolk, and the mysteries of the Big Bang Theory, before transitioning into action and dialogue. Dila mixes it up too—changing the POV at pivotal moments: Winnie Bussle’s retelling of her long lost love (how it gave her momentary sight), and Karen Kleeber’s retelling of her father’s murder.

The only negative criticism I have regarding Dila’s novel is the endless notes left for Lucky. Dila’s smart enough not to use this vehicle near the end of each chapter (avoiding appearances of advancing his story with gimmicks). Yet my reaction at times: “Oh God! Not another note.” Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m jealous with envy.

Once again, Dila proves that a productive writer is someone who completes a project and moves on to something else, monetary gain or not. I hope that the right person comes along, some agent, some somebody, and contacts him. The Big Bang Theory is worth reading. Access it here.

12 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

Hey! It's good to see you posting again. You've been missed.

ivan@creativewriing.ca said...

From someone who has gotten a big bang out of writing, I'd say the journey is sort of Norman Maileresque. First the big bang with the Naked and the Dead, and his third novel is described as "Sordid...crummy....botch."

Mailer was long enough to come back with Advertisments for Myself ("I Want You to Know Who I Am?"), which was a masterpiece of autobiograhpy.
I can paper my walls with printed reviews.
But now, that one is in the shadows it's,
Charlie Brown: Who me?
Chorus: Yes, you!.
Your your last paragraph in your blog somehow inspires.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm glad he found a way to see it in print and glad it is good. I have given completely up on trying to read books online, though. I've been having a lot of trouble with my legs and it limits how much time I can spend sitting at the computer.

the walking man said...

"in _____, _____, and _____ "

Yup could fill all of them in. A mutual friend told me that Walt Whitman wrote a book of his poetry, couldn't find a publisher so he wrote his own review under a nom de plume which was published in a paper of the time, his book then sold. Interesting tactic.

Yep Xlibris wouldn't stop sending me crap either until I banished them to the no fly zone. Although I did self publish an anthology (Black, White and, Blue in Detroit.) of poetry with another author at a local press set up for such things.

We sold about 200 copies at different venues we performed poetry at and now it is available on line through LeadFoot press for purchase. I don't know or care if it has sold anything in the past year or so, I let all income from it go to my partner in rhyme.

With poetry though it is much easier and cheaper to either self publish or send out and eat rejections because once it is written, Jim, at least for me, the work is done and I want no more to do with it. Move on is what I do.

Ahh but the novels, all that I have that are in publishable state are legally copyrighted even though I stopped shopping them a couple of years ago.

Made the mistake of sending one legally un-copyrighted to a TV writer for a critique who was the husband of an ex-friend of mine. Lo and behold without much change in set up a year and a half later ABC was running a show with the same premise and his name with a writers credit. Wasn't up for a court fight so I just learned from it.

Now this internet publishing thing has a bit of mystery to me about it, may investigate it and think on whether I wish to join the fray again.

I will have to read what this fellow wrote and then look at the possibilities. But I think I will stay what I have always been which is a poet first over and above all other forms.

I like my kids well enough, they are after all mine, yet at the same time it is the process of making them that I love. How about you Jim?

Peace

mark

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey Walking Man,
Thanks for the comments. I do remember going to LeadFoot Press and seeing your book of poetry. Also, I remember a certain Detroit Public School Teacher that wrote a screenplay and had his agent shop it around. After so many rejections, his agent, who still believed in it, bought it from him. After some time, a movie called, "Jingle All The Way" came out with Sinbad and the Governor of California (Correct me if I'm wrong). Yep, you got it--the screenplay had been stolen. It ended up in the courts and the agent won a hefty sum of money. He has since died, and the teacher is still teaching. Business as usual.

Ruth W. said...

lets face it JR, it is just a matter of luck if you become publish or not. We all know you are very talented, and enjoy your writings.

Glad your back for a bit and will always hope and pray that the "big break" will come your way.

Erik Donald France said...

The new Beatles song:
"Internet Writer"

I've seen ads for LeadFoot Press, was wondering about them since they're Detroit-based. All around interesting.

The only thing I don't like about George Dila's i-novel are the names. Not a fan of cutesy names, with rare exceptions. But cool alternative way to get it out there for all the world to see.

the walking man said...

See Jim its that BAU that made me begin to not care if my love ever saw the light of day. As soon as I am able I am going to go back to performing the pieces and then archiving them for another litter.

Erik LeadFoot is done by a rather good fellow, Joe Ferrari, who lives with his wife Diamond Dancer way deep in the west side about two miles west of Wayne state.

It is a desk top business for him and he does other work outside of this press as well. He has for years in the area been, even though he is younger than me by a decade, a wonderful poet himself and a great friend to the community of poets in the metro area.

He takes your rough, prints it for you to proof, prints the corrections and allows for a final edit before the cover is attached. We designed our own cover with his help but he will do that as well if one wanted.

Cost for me was about $4.50 a copy but we could have done it cheaper with different paper and cover choices. They sold at $7.00 so there was some money made. But poetry is not really anything you can live off of anymore unless you hit the very top stratosphere of the game.

The book Aricka Foreman and I did was because we had something to say about our different perspectives on Detroit, she was 20 and I was 50 and we both are born and raised here. I am a fat White guy she is a beautiful Black woman. As diametrically opposite as we could be yet with so much in common that it couldn't help itself, it needed to be born.

peace

mark

Anonymous said...

DiamondDancer
Wearable Art
Sticks and Stones Jewelry
The Jewel Tones Poetry Society

the walking man said...

I guess that is as quantifiable as the obtuse anonymous graffiti club. No?

Jo said...

JR, why is it so difficult for you fellow to get published? You're all obviously good writers. So, what gives? Is it some sort of private club or something? It doesn't make any sense to me.

the walking man said...

Here's my answer Jim, you may have a different take on it...Jo, it is like a slot machine, you have to push the button at exactly the right time to get a pay off. That is the random nature of the programming.

You might send in the right piece, at the right time, to the right publication but the editor with the pen may have had a fight with their spouse or have indigestion or actually might be jealous of the writers talent and not want to give them exposure. Could be any reason. It is humans dealt with and of all things comprehensible on the planet our species is the most difficult when taken as individuals.

Competition, every editor has a stack they call a slush pile, which is where most people who submit wind up and as they are able at the journal they get to it. They want to read the "Name Authors" first, by the time they get to your work it may be to late for the specific issue submitted for. A poorly written cover letter on top of a great piece will get you to the slush pile faster than a Ferrari with the hammer down.

With there being so many writers submitting to different journals, anthologies and publishing houses there is never a lack for them to look at and always a ton of great work that gets overlooked.

*Shrug* that's the business end of it and what one accepts when pursuing a "name" in it.

Personally it is why these days I stay with poetry because once I can go and perform or read the pieces to a live audience I get instant feed back instead of chewing my nails while waiting for the mail. Or the blog feedback in lieu of a live audience because I haven't been able to get to a venue in awhile.

We write because we must, it is what we have become and what we are. It is pleasure and pain all in one mixed bag and if nothing else intellectually we are sado-masochists. lmao at this new realization.