Monday, April 7, 2008

WRITE WHEN YOU CAN'T














If I distance myself from writing, step back far enough into the pile of objectivity, I’ll feel the doodle on my heel. I say, “Doodle,” because it’s not just a visual thing, it’s an assault on my olfactory. Back up, back up, back up. Do the Igor slide. Drag your shoe along the grass. There are lines drawn through entire sentences. Certain words fight to untangle themselves. Here’s why:

Hello James,

Thanks for submitting your story. Solid work but we’re going to let this one slide. Came into the top four. I’m sure this’ll be placed with ease elsewhere. Keep up the good work and thanks for your patience. Cheers,

Kenneth Mulvey,
A Thieves Jargon Fiction Editor




Thanks so much for your submission, James. I enjoyed it, but it doesn’t seem like a good fit for Monkeybicycle. Best of Luck placing it elsewhere. And please keep us in mind if you have any other stories that need a home.

Eric Spitznagel
Website Editor, Monkeybicycle




Dear James,

We enjoyed your work in the past and would like for you to submit any additional stories you may have. Please submit for our last issue of the school year. Thank you,

M.D. Thomas
Foliate Oak Staff




Dear James,

We’ve received your submission. We will contact you as soon as possible to let you know whether we’ve chosen to publish your work. Please allow four to six weeks before inquiring as to the status of your submission. Typically, we will be in touch much sooner. Thanks again!

Dave Clapper
Editor, Smokelong Quarterly




Dear James,

Thank you for letting us read your story. After careful consideration, we’ve decided we won’t be able to use it in The First Line. Sincerely,

David LaBounty, Editor




Dear James,

Our apologies for the delayed response, but we would sincerely like to thank you for considering The Means worthy of publishing your work. After a careful reading and consideration, we feel that your submission does not quite fit our vision. With that said, we thank you for your support of the arts and wish you well in placing this piece elsewhere. And don’t be discouraged. What do we know anyway? Fondly,

Christopher Vieau
Co-Editor, The Means

8 comments:

Donnetta Lee said...

"...does not quite fit our vision." Isn't that just the way? Try try again. Even when you can't!

How are you doing? Well, I hope! Take care!

Donnetta

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim,

Wicked funny and vice versa. Good to read you back and back again, over . . . . .

patterns of ink said...

Hello, JRT,
I have got to update this bookmark. For months when I click on your link in my favorites it says you're site has moved. I'll try not to lose you this time.
Good to hear from your.

patterns of ink said...

Oops I hit publish instead of preview...
I meant to add that I would enjoy reading a series by you (and other published friends) about how you deside where to send your material and whether there is any legitimacy in "self publishing" (and I don't mean vanity publishing... I mean setting up a POD operation) any thoughts? Glad to have you back in circulation.
Tom

the walking man said...

Uhhh Fuck 'em, just keep going with it with the thought that it doesn't matter if any accepts it but you. Don't make yourself crazy over publishing. make yourself crazy over what you are trying to publish Jim.

PEACE

mark

Charles Gramlich said...

Hum, perhaps a book of nice rejection letters would sell? And hey, I recently had a story rejected by a magazine that was publishing an all "rejects" issue.

Michelle's Spell said...

These made me laugh! I just got one back from The Bitter Oleander saying they wanted something "less harsh." Hell, they have BITTER in the name!

Nimh Sellers said...

I am currently reading Stephen King's On Writing: A memoir of the craft. I think you'd really like it too, it's funny and you know, there was a time when he used to get a lot of rejection letters too, it's just how it goes.

It's important that you don't give up, you doing better then most of us.

Take Care,
P