Sunday, December 2, 2007

COWBOY ETHICS














Before I went on vacation with a viral infection brewing in my body, a young African-American man in my morning classes along with his posse (for lack of a better word) discussed how they would rob a party store. Although somewhat rushed and loud—How else do you get a word in?—their talk seemed natural and unforced, as if they were planning what to pack for lunch that day.

But they weren’t arguing over making sandwiches or picking soda.

“Pop-pop-pop!” this youngster said. The others laughed hysterically.

I wasn’t amused. A week earlier he had told me how he robbed a Walgreen’s on the south side of Chicago and got away with it.

I reminded the group to quiet down, and as usual, the discussion grew to an excitable level. I threatened a seating chart, knowing damn well they would just shout across the room to one another. I also mentioned bad evaluations and tickets.

“So what,” one of them said, singling himself out, “what you gonna do, have us locked up? We’re already in prison.”

Running out of options, I made myself a mental note to get rid of the ringleader after my vacation … but not before administering him the TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education). You never know, his grade level equivalency may have improved meaning more federal dollars toward our educational program. No inmate left behind. At least on paper.

10 comments:

Wayne said...

Wow. Sounds like that feller has more balls than brains.

Sornie said...

I guess everyone has their own things to be proud of but a Walgreen's -- tell the kid to have some class and go for CVS next time.

Charles Gramlich said...

It's a shame how one idiot can so draw down others, can work to make their lives more miserable simply to feed his ego.

Leslie: said...

Sounds pretty much like a regular school to me. You're right about getting rid of the ringleader - once he's gone, the rest do settle down. It only takes one jacka** to ruin the ambience, so to speak.

Lana Gramlich said...

Gads, these people make me feel SO good about myself!

ivan said...

Leslie is right.

You make decisions as a teacher.
And thirty years later, you realize why. You had to get rid of the ringleader.

the walking man said...

A couple of tickets and a guard to take them back to their cell, cool, glad to see you didn't get a take on TX justice while you were there.

Peace

mark

Erik Donald France said...

“So what,” one of them said, singling himself out, “what you gonna do, have us locked up? We’re already in prison.” -- Wow. That about sums it up. Three cheers, Jim. And salud. . .

Anonymous said...

Mongoose you know what to do. Enjoyed the read and hope you enjoyed going back. MW :)

Anonymous said...

Jim, Just about everything I've read about the "prison" life, is making sure NO PRISONERS are left behind. :( --Bro, Ron