Saturday, May 5, 2007

CIGARETTES & LIABILITY

In the retelling of my workplace stories, I would never ever think of using a coworker's real name, unless, of course, he were Joe Howard. It does not matter to me that one minute Joe railed against our boss, got right in his face, you son of a bitch, I ought to slap you with a defamation of character lawsuit, and a day later, with tears welling up in his eyes, showed a genuine concern for our boss's declining health. That was Howard, doing everything in life with passion.

I had first met Howard at a MDOC training session. We were working at different prisons--he, at the Adrian Correctional Facility; I, at a prison in Detroit. We were sent to the Carson City Correctional Facility for a presentation on "how to best improve the academic skills of our prisoners." Carson City hosted the event because they demonstrated the largest increases on the TABE scores (Test of Adult Basic Education). I sat amongst my peers, prison educators from all over Michigan, waiting for someone to say what I had been thinking.

Howard stood up. "You're so full of shit," he said to the presenter. "The reason the men at your facility do better on the TABE has more to do with less ride-outs." An argument ensued, and Howard, satisfied for having made his point, agreed to sit back down. Before our lunch break, I introduced myself, and soon we were discussing teaching theories at a local pub over beer and burgers.

We wouldn't meet again until three years later, when I transferred to a new facility; something he had done a few years prior.

After settling into my new classroom, I'd listen to Howard and his students actively arguing and learning simultaneously. During our short breaks, we'd stand on the prison yard, Howard freely dispensing his knowledge on every topic under the sun while searching for a cigarette. On some occasions, faced with a major dilemma, he'd order an inmate to give him a square.

"You know," I said to him once, right before he inhaled, "that's a rolled cigarette."

"Yeah, what's your point?"

"The inmate had to lick the paper."

"I need my nicotine, Jimmy."

Of all the teachers I've met and worked with in the prison system, Howard was the most energetic. He didn't just go through the motions; he actually felt he was contributing to the well-being of the inmates. He ended up transferring to the Maxey Training School for Boys in an effort to keep his special education certification. I haven't heard from him in years. I learned this week that he retired in January.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, Howard was smoking inmates's rolled cigs? Wow, he was taking a chance. You sure he isn't dead by now? Interesting story with the educator speaking his mind publicly. I'm surprised how you remember all these events but I guess I would remember some guy helling obscenities. --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Jim, Looks like Bailey is getting well trained now? --Bro, Ron

singleton said...

Well, he took chances. And told it like it was. And those are the people you remember.....eventually everybody else just blends in with the wallpaper.....
Glad to hear he made it to retirement!

Anonymous said...

He was a very good teacher and he got results. He was passionate for what he taught and I believe the inmates sensed it. I saw him yell at an inmate out in the yard, call the young man every thing under the sun, and then bum a smoke off him, lite it, blow smoke in the guys face and continue yelling at the guy to use his time wisely and do better.
Got my respect. Nice tribute. Glad to hear he retired. MW

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like the guy generally had some senses. (Well, except for that cigarrette thing.)

lulu said...

The world needs more teachers like that.

Plain Jane said...

ok question- ralied or railed? and good grief that dog is getting HUGE!

Bobby said...

I move around the workforce too much to know how anybody from previous workplaces is doing. That's good and bad, I guess.

islandgrovepress said...

Ah, poor Howard the Duck.

And, like the movie, no star rating at all.

I have been in Howard's position.
It struck me one day that education bureaucrats are sometimes no better than prison wardens, intelligent hired thugs, all hellbent on tenure... Probably why Howard told his boss off.

Or maybe poor Howard was just a horse's ass in a society of big-bummed centaurs.

Probably just a sensitive man in squirrel cage.
When I was in Howard's situation I somehow got a writer's grant from the Ontario government. This gave me cachet and the hotshot tenured teachers suddenly left me alone...Publish or perish; I was publishing and I was getting money for it. I mean, English teachers are SUPPOSED to be eccentric, no? Thus perceived, things got better for me.

It does strike me you could write a book on your experiences, but they are as yet so fresh, you'd have some trouble structuring, with an ubiased overview.
I have tried the same thing myself, but there were so many people in academe that I hated, emotions got in the way.

You could try a book.

Ivan

Ellie said...

You have to wonder now that he has retired if he will use that passion and zeal on something else? Sounds like a colorful character and you sound like you respect him.

The dog is looking really well.

GrizzBabe said...

What a neat fellow. Sounds like someone I'd like to get to know.

Nimh Sellers said...

I've eaten grasshoppers, so smoking inmate spit, no problem.

I'm so jealous you have a dog! I love my cat, but she ain't no replacment for a dog. Unfortunately this small apartment would just be too unfair, and the cat would make me suffer for bringing a dog into her territory anyways.

-P

Erik Donald France said...

Great opening and tale. Love it! Everybody I've ever met named Joe has been kind of wild. Coincidence? Do names influence people's behavior?

Michelle's Spell said...

People like that are really refreshing -- funny and honest, great combination!

Johnny Yen said...

the education system just seems to suck the life and passion out of people. It's good to know someone made it through a career without succombing to it.

Jo said...

I know people like that. They're very honest and passionate and sometimes a breath of fresh air.

Bailey's growing into a gorgeous dog.

Josie

Donnetta Lee said...

Good for him for keepin' it real-and making it to retirement! But, oh dear, the cigarette kinda bothers me.
Donnetta

ShadowFalcon said...

If only there were more teachers like that

LINYSenior said...

Addiction is very powerful......and most addicts I have treated have this strong risk taking attitude. "I need my nicotine" is not too different than "I need my fix".

While working with delinquent boys in residential care, it soon became a cat and mouse game between the staff and kids as to where the cigarettes and other contraband was hidden. The alert staff often, through some ironic sixth sense could usually sniff the stuff.

Good writing as usual Jim. Thanks