Sunday, February 8, 2009

THE THAW

With the steady influx of Window Lickers attending my classes—that’s what a few staff members call the mentally disturbed inmates—and with the ice-damming on my house, it seems as if I’ve had very little time for writing.

I shouldn’t complain. Chiseling two-feet of ice from my gutters seemed therapeutic, even though my hands nearly froze. Also, the fresh air did me some good, gave me time to reflect.

Now that the snow has melted from the roof and I’ve crawled around inside the attic surveying the damage, I’m hoping to get back into some kind of routine, some kind of rhythm. I’ve got these peculiar ideas scuttling about my brain, and if I can put words to paper, if I can push aside my own personal demons and record these events, then I just might get somewhere, I just might have something. Still, there's no sense in rushing things.

11 comments:

The Preacherman said...

All my ideas are peculiar - according to those who know me.

I don't think they are.

God is alive and well and living in my fridge......

....where's me meds gon....?

Beth said...

I'm letting the ice melt from the gutters without any help from me - I think I will be sorry. And I have heard an ominous dripping sound in one spot in the house within the walls. I know I will be sorry if I ignore that.
Let those ideas percolate - they will emerge in their own good time.

Charles Gramlich said...

Al I can say about the monster picture is WTF?

Also, I don't think you had to qualify your point about ideas with the word "peculiar." Is that not understood where J.R. is concerned?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Anonymous said...

WINDOW LICKIN' GOOD

Colonel Sanders Chicken Brigade

BAAWK-BAAWK-BAH-BAH-BAAWK!!!

Erik Donald France said...

Nothing quite like an icy nightmare.

Good luck, man, and watch out for those window lickers.

the walking man said...

Jim...The problem of the ice dams forming is readily apparent in your picture. No roof insulation. The dams form when heat escaping from the house melts snow higher up on the roof and it freezes as it gets to the lower areas of the colder roof.

ghee said...

window lickers,haha!what a term...

too much snow eh?it is really a hard work,but at least,it was a therapeutic thing for you.

have a nice week ahead!

Lana Gramlich said...

Ice? What's that? ;)

Catvibe said...

And what in the heck is that creature? Something you found lurking in the attack I presume? Good thing you attacked it with your trusty ice chisel!

jodi said...

Watch out for the Window Lickers and Mouth Breathers! Don't you hate "homeowning"?

Whitenoise said...

Those alien-rat things are growing in the moisture of your attic?! Geez, I'd better check mine...