Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I GOT PANKED!





















It’s not often I get two acceptance letters on the same story; Multiple rejections, that’s a given. I sometimes think my middle initial stands for REJECTION. This week, however, I received another acceptance message for “Adopted Behaviors” even though it’s under contractual agreement with Underground Voices .

Blame my crazy-ass system if you will.

Here’s why: I maintain a semi-organized logbook of my paltry list of submissions and pull stories once they’re PUBLISHED. I know what you’re thinking: I should notify the other editors as soon as I commit the story elsewhere. But for some reason “rejection” lingers like residual gun powder on my hands. What if an editor changes his or her mind? What if I give them the rights to a story and they don’t use it? One time, I submitted a story to the Wayne Literary Review, received a $200 writing award I never applied for, and did not; I repeat DID NOT get published. Go figure.

In the back of my mind I’ve always wanted recognition from literary magazines endorsed by institutions of higher learning. Michigan Tech certainly is such a place. Still, I must honor my commitment. Plus, I believe UV has a larger readership. I’ll be first to admit: bigger isn’t necessarily better; each publisher has his or her audience. Maybe I’ll get PANK(ED) in the future.

What do you think? Did I pull the trigger too soon?

11 comments:

Beth said...

What a coup!
And I would have said yes to the first acceptance letter - a bird in the hand...
I also don't think multiple submissions are such a bad thing - despite orders not to do it.

Catvibe said...

Besides, since you almost never hear from people you make a submission to, then why the hell not! Congrats on being accepted for two publications! Even if you can't say yes to both. :-(

the walking man said...

Personally I think this is what happens with multiple submissions of the same story, a not to be unexpected result.

Did you "pull the trigger to soon"?

No, because the idea is for you to build lines on a writing resume for which either publication is a new line. Honor your first commitment and refuse without comment, other than a well written thank you, to the second acceptance.

Lana Gramlich said...

I don't even know how to respond to this, as all I ever get (from galleries & major art shows,) are rejections. Ever. Congratulations to you on the conundrum. You GO boy!

Erik Donald France said...

Kudos, dude. Well-deserved!

No comment on pulling the trigger. I go with Woody Allen: whatever works, and damn the torpedoes.

Whitenoise said...

Congratulations, Jim. I can't really comment because I have no expertise with this process having never submitted anything for publication. I have a couple stories I'd like to see in print, maybe I should ask you for advice one day...

ivan@creeativewriting.ca said...

Gee, I've often had the double whammy, two rejections at once, but never a two bagger like this.
--Well, maybe once in poetry, but I'm not sure that counts.

Two 20mm cannon rounds fired from a Spitfire and they hit not one big bomber, but two!
But a quandary.
Gotta keep your wits about you.
My experience had been that if you get cute and ask for time with one publisher, the other may just get fickle while you waffle, apparently making up your mind.
Stay with the first publisher, I guess.

ivan@creativewriting.ca said...

Lana,

Can you frame?

At the Isaacs Gallery in Toronto, a Ukrainian-Canadian adept named William Kurelek was a framer there while doing his own art on the side. He showed his boss some primiives and Isaacs desided to put them up. Almost overnight, William Kurelek was praised as the greatest primitive painer since Grandma Moses.
Anyway, it's a steady job, and you cuold be right next to the action.

Julie said...

I've never had the guts to try what you did, so I can't give any good advice.

But I will say congratulations! Please let us know when it comes out, so we can order a copy or find it online.

The Preacherman said...

Course you didn't. Now you can introduce yourself as a published writer and pull the birds ;-)

jodi said...

A "pankin" and it's not even your birthday! Way to go, JR.